All about ions

aommaster

aommaster said in post #2 :

How come iron and copper each form two different ions?

I think iron forms 2+ and3+ while copper forms 1+ and 2+

How is this possible? I thought elements form their own ion!!!

it depends what they bond to, think Cation structure and what it would take to make a stable compound :)

• 2 weeks later...
aommaster said in post #2 :

How come iron and copper each form two different ions?

I think iron forms 2+ and3+ while copper forms 1+ and 2+

How is this possible? I thought elements form their own ion!!!

They're transition metals.. thats what they do. Not just iron and copper: all elements in that middle portion of the periodic table have multiple charges. It depends on what they bond to.

All you ever want to do is create full outer "shells" i.e. look at Na it wants to loose a electron to create a full 1st shell (1st shells are happy (stable) when they have 2 electrons), so the best way would be to create a NaF compounds, as F wants to gain one electron, Al wants to loose 3 electrons so you would bond it to a elemt(s) that wants to gain 3 i.e. N.

yeah, trasition metals are kinda hard to predict -- your teacher is somewhat correct. In order to even start to accurately predict what ions trasition metals form, you need to lean a bit of what is called "group theory."

However, there are some simple predictions that can be made for a very few of the trasition metals. But over all, in order to predict charge on a metal, you need to know coordination number, coordination environment, feild splitting of the orbitals, ect. It is quite a mess :P

But it is very cool.

in Wolfsons reply #20, he mentions 2p6, well 2p6 is known as Neon or Ne.

that may help understanding his post #17.

[Ne].3s2.3p1 is must faster and just as understandable as,

1s2, 2s2,2p1,2p2,2p3,2p4,2p5,2p6,3s1,3s2,3p1 (quite a mouthfull eh!)

so instead of doing every single period, we just look down the last group Ne, Ar, Kr, Xe, Rn (we don`t really use He as that`s the 1`st to appear anyway) and start from there, because we don`t need to know ALL the stuff that came before it :)

it may help you to get a spare periodic table and write the Blocks and Shells down etc,,,

btw, there has been a new element discovered! called BOo, they`re thinking of naming it the Element of Surprise :)