Conductivity

Asian

Hey guys this is my first post. Im having trouble with 3 questions on my chem lab. The first question is discuss the differences in conductivity between glacial acetic acid, 6 m acetic acid, and 0.1 m acetic acid.

the second question is how do organic solids and liquids rate as electric conductors..

lastly how can you account for the fair and poor conductors of electricicty..

Much help is appreciated, but only please respond if you know the answer. Thanks!

okay, nobody is going to give the answers away. your going to have to do much of the work your self, we just point you the right way.

1/ what are the charge carrier concentrations in the solution

2/ you should be able to get this. you can either look it up on google or consider the same point i mentioned for 1/

3/again, see 1

and i'm looking at the lab report i wrote for this exact experiment several years ago and i got 100% in it.

im not at all asking for answers, i just need a little bit of help.

i believe the answer to #2 is that they are both poor conductors but im not quite sure why.

for question 1 i know the order goes 6m, 1m, and then the glacial acetic acid. but i dont really understand how i can find out the charges on both of them.

for question 3, i think that we wouldn't use fair or poor conductors in our everyday lives.

any help is appreciated, and i really need it too

okay, look up dissociation constants. you don't have to fin out the charges, just the relative concentrations of the ions in the solutions.

for question 3, i think that we wouldn't use fair or poor conductors in our everyday lives.

that in no way answers the third question(the reasons behind their conductivity) that you posted (perhaps you referenced a different question by accident)

i know what dissociation is. dissociation is the fact that water is partially negative and positive, and it breaks apart the molecules to form ions. the more ions u have the better the conductor it is. i just don't know how any of that is related to any of the questions

wouldn't acetic acid be neutral because the polyatomic ion for acetate is negative, and the hydrogen element is positive, thus the two balancing each other out. it says for a hitnt for the acetic acid question to use the formulas for each, but i dont get how taht would apply to the question

the number of ions produced??? but how would be there a different number of ions??? i know that 0.1 m has a lower concentration and 6m has a higher concentration. but im not to0 sure about glacial acetic acid. it also says to talk about the chemical formulas but i dont know how i would incorparate that in

okay, umm. knowing the structure allows you to determine if it will dissociate completely or only partially.

so i think that organic solids and pure liquids are poor conductors.... because they are both stable at the moment and don't produce any ions????????
thats pretty much correct. its just that they are not in solution with a polar solvent so they won't dissociate.

well isnt there no difference between the structual formula between 6 m of acetic acid, and 0.1 m of acetic acid. the only difference is that there is a different concentration of molecules. im going to assume glacial acetic acid has a different formula than the above two. so if basically if an element has a high electrognegativity it would be more likely to dissociate, is that correct?

• 2 years later...

two years later and they are still using the same lab. how did you answer last question? it is how can you account for the fair and poor conductors of electricity? i am not understand the question or the conversation that went on here. please help