Beagle 2 on Mars surface, but no word from it yet

Cheetah

Today, around 03:52 CET, Beagle 2 was expected to land on Mars surface. Also, the European Mars Express space probe entered Mars orbit at 03:47 CET.

But no communication from Beagle 2 has been recieved(ESA). Although the probe may have crashed on the surface, there are also other possibilities. As Mike Healey from Beagle 2's constructor Astrium UK says, " it could have landed in the wrong place or it may not have opened successfully, and the aerial may be pointing in the wrong direction." BBC also has an article on it.

I hope they manage to get contact with Beagle soon.

I'm just watched/listened to the live internet broadcast of the press conference and it are not all equal opportunities.

They will try blind commanding now !!

(after the complete risk analises)

http://www.beagle2.com/resources/video-album.htm

They sure not thinking about giving up now.

Monday morning 8:30 new press conference.

(unless very important news before it)

Did you know they originaly didn't plan to be able to get contact with beagle2 for the first 10day's but with Odyssey they can try earlier Mars express will only enter the game later on.

(important from software point of view)

When? I understood 30Jan but that is so late? that is also when Odyssey has to start doing other NASA things.

the date for the mars express 2 way cominication has been bought forwards from Jan 6 to Jan 4`th.

there have so far been 5 atempts to hear something, nothing yet, if anyone is interested, the frequency they`re listening for it on is: 401.56 MHz (for those of you out there with radio telescopes).

YT2095 said in post #5 :

401.56 MHz (for those of you out there with radio telescopes).

LOL, damn and I just sold mine ;)

You would still need the experiance and software to get the signal out of the noise. (even with a very large one)

• 2 weeks later...
Cap'n Refsmmat said in post #10 :

Beagle 2 is too small to make a crater.

I was joking but you are incorrect it could make a small crater.

Not only the size/weight is important to know if there will be a crater or not the speed at impact is also very important.

quote from the weird beagle-2 professor:

To locate a crater with high resolution shots you would need a picture from before and after. (we obvious don't have one of before)

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post #12 :

Well, big crater.

Why don't we have one from before? They photograph landing sites? (if it hit the landing site!)

I don't know, I assume they don't make higher res shots because the zone is to big.

http://www.ncbe.rdg.ac.uk/MARS/PDF/landingzone.pdf

Not sure if this was made before or after.

edit: here a picture not sure about the orientation.http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA05019

(before landing)