20 - 24-pin ATX power cable converters

bluesmudge

Anyone know any reason not to use a 20 - 24-pin ATX power cable converter?

Why they need an extra four pins I have no idea, but i'll be damned it i'm replaceing my PSU for my new Motherboard!

Oh and whilst I'm here why would a motherboard have a memory compatibility list - not just the specifics like ddr / ddr2 etc etc but brand names and model numbers. I thought as long as its the right type brands etc appart from quality were interchangeable

Oh and whilst I'm here why would a motherboard have a memory compatibility list - not just the specifics like ddr / ddr2 etc etc but brand names and model numbers. I thought as long as its the right type brands etc appart from quality were interchangeable
Motherboards (mobo) will have a specification. For example a DDR compatable mobo might not work with DDR2. Also most mobos have a limit to how much RAM they can take. I believe mine is 4GB, not that I'd ever get that much, but it's still a limit. So there are compatability issues.

Some mobos will be really fussy and will only accept certain, generally non-standard, components. As these are non-standard this could be why specific model numbers are given. That is you have to use a listen model, nothing else works.

Alternatively it could just be the manufacture recommending the most common components used, to make it easier for you, or it could be they're in some sort of business deal and must recommend a specific brand component, even though others would work.