Slideshow

BigMoosie

I have built a JavaScript slideshow for a client. It works fine for me but she says there are problems when she views it on her machine. I would be very greatful if you would view the slideshow and tell me whether or not it works correctly. You do not need to be able to understand JavaScript to help me out with this. I just want to know if her problem occurs for alot of people.

Please view it here: http://frankipollick.com/slideshow.html and let me know if it works as intended.

She claims that the images will be replaced with blackness for unpredictable amounts of time when the slideshow is on. This should never be the case, the images should transition one to the other.

Thankyou very much,

-Moosie

Nice brides. Expect for imho being a bit too fast, the slideshow seems to work from my Laptop (System is Win XP home, in case that matters) i.e. all pictures showed up during the roughly 1 minute I ran the slideshow.

EDIT: Oh yes, seeing that Klaynos mentioned the browser: It works with both: Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I have built a JavaScript slideshow for a client. It works fine for me but she says there are problems when she views it on her machine. I would be very greatful if you would view the slideshow and tell me whether or not it works correctly. You do not need to be able to understand JavaScript to help me out with this. I just want to know if her problem occurs for alot of people.

Please view it here: http://frankipollick.com/slideshow.html and let me know if it works as intended.

She claims that the images will be replaced with blackness for unpredictable amounts of time when the slideshow is on. This should never be the case, the images should transition one to the other.

Thankyou very much,

-Moosie

Works fine here. On firefox, what browser is she using?

Are you sure it's not a loading problem? You can get JS to preload all the next image whilst the first is showing... Or preload them all when the page is opened...

She is using IE6. At the moment I have it set up so that the next image is preloaded using new Image(), and as soon as it loads I apply that image in the slideshow, however I think her problem is that after it preloads it is trying to download it for a second time instead of loading it from the cache. I get the exact same problem when I apply this setting in IE:

Check for newer versions of stored pages: Every time you visit (temporary internet settings)

However changing that on her computer doesn't fix a thing. Is there another setting that causes the same result?

IE6, WinXP SP1, all works fine.

Maybe she has an overprotective firewall that has an issue with JavaScript.

Try deleting all cookies, temp internet firewalls (on/offline) etc.

She is using IE6, but is she using WinXP? I know you can get IE6 on Win98. I do have a computer with that setup in the other room, would you like me to try the slideshow on that computer? (it's really no problem to me, it's just in the other room)

5614: I believe she is using win XP and has told me that two computers in her household fail to run it properly and both are behind the same firewall so think you may have found the possible culprit.

I have realised a possible fix however; if instead of using the abstract Image() object I use a real image tag which is hidden then when the onload event triggers I can then slowly display it (incrementing the opacity) over the other image, there should be no problem doing it that way as once it loads for the first time there is no necessity to load it from cache.

• 2 months later...