North Korea tests nuke

bascule

I'm tired so I'll keep it short.

This -> Japan+nukes -> China upset -> empty Wal-Mart shelves.

Not really trying to push the alarmism button, mind you, obviously there's a long road ahead. I just thought I'd cut right to the chase. (grin)

Well they already apparently had nukes and now we know one of them worked. So it's not really much of a change, they don't have any new capability. It'll probably be some time before they can stick them in a missile.

What I think it means is that the US and China will have to work out what to do next. Basically they can keep things going as they are, apply sanctions or negotiate. China will find it hard to apply sanctions and the US will find it hard to negotiate, so we might well end up with a few token guestures and back to the status quo.

So what exactly would we use it for then?

terraforming, planetary defense against asteroids, comets and the like. other than that, none. what do we use them for now? nothing.

if we don't need them in the future then we won't build them in the future.

what do we use them for now? nothing.

I`de have to disgree with you there, it Does (and has done) serve(d) as a deterant under the MAD principle.

it would be Nice if this wasn`t the case, but mans greed/stupidity etc......

precludes this happening now.

I`m all for Status Quo!

(even though they only knew 4 chords on the guitar)

yes well, i was taking use to be involving the detonation of nuclear devices. the deterrent isn't more than them sitting there decaying uselessly

But they have to work to be a deterrent. I think we are plenty mature enough for great big ole bombs. We have thousands of these things all over the planet and not one has been used. We dropped a couple at the end of WWII, and I personally think that was immature and unnecessary, by I'm not sorry either.

Humans have a burning desire to be violent and dominate and we seem to be doing pretty good at not giving in to the ultimate WMD.

But we need them too. Because if we didn't have them, the US would already be history and China, or some other nuclear power would be the superpower of the world.

But we need them too. Because if we didn't have them, the US would already be history and China, or some other nuclear power would be the superpower of the world.

or just as likely the other way around!

lets not try and sneak in petty prejudices here:cool:

but we shouldn't need to use them even as a detterent. why the hell are people fighting all over the place? i honestly can't say that i see a perfectly good reason for it.

Well I can't say that I see a perfectly good reason for a lot of the behavior amongst the animal kingdom, but it does seem to be part of our genetic predisposition. We've been doing it for millions of years.

Actually, all things considered, I wonder if we're becoming less violent now? Or perhaps we've just redirected it to cinema and video games and etc - which could still be considered the first step to shedding our violent tendency.

or just as likely the other way around!

lets not try and sneak in petty prejudices here

Well, sure the other way around. And I don't think supporting my own country is sneaky or a petty prejudice. Since my point originated in the context of "we", obviously implying my petty preference of my own country, I had to be consistent.

Most importantly, no one can pronounce the word "nuclear"! Dammit Jim, I'm a nuclear engineer, not a nucular engineer!

You know I grew up with this idea that nuclear and "nucular" were two different things. I grew up in Oklahoma...

Perhaps you'd prefer keep it Objective. I'll keep it realistic..along with everyone else.

if you consider Bias=Realistic fine:rolleyes:

but it doesn`t make for a good solid footing in Truth as Objectivity does;)

anyway, I refuse to argue with you on this trivia, back to the Topic!

if you consider Bias=Realistic fine:rolleyes:

but it doesn`t make for a good solid footing in Truth as Objectivity does;)

Yes, it's realistic to admit bias. It's self denial and disingenuous to pretend you're objective and thus claim truth.

anyway, I refuse to argue with you on this trivia, back to the Topic!

but not without getting the last word huh?

Look, I actually agree it could go either way, and everybody gets that, and already got that before your worthless post. However, I could be just like you and go through every post and find some stupid little tid bit to get snooty about and pretend like I'm important and insightful, when really it's just distracting and elementary.

Let's try to stay on topic shall we?

hmm it doesnt surprise me. If i was any country without nukes i would want one just to deter the nuclear capable countries from bothering me. Iraq didn't have nukes, U.S. invaded and put it in chaos. Iran doesnt have nukes (just my guess, maybe they do) U.S. will probably invade them NK has nukes, U.S. wants to see the peace process work out. it looks to me, have nukes, people just talk, don't have nukes, you get invaded if a superpower or their allies dont like your politics or just dont like you in general.

No wonder NK wants a working launchable nuke. If not who knows what will happen down the line.

hmm it doesnt surprise me. If i was any country without nukes i would want one just to deter the nuclear capable countries from bothering me. Iraq didn't have nukes, U.S. invaded and put it in chaos. Iran doesnt have nukes (just my guess, maybe they do) U.S. will probably invade them NK has nukes, U.S. wants to see the peace process work out. it looks to me, have nukes, people just talk, don't have nukes, you get invaded if a superpower or their allies dont like your politics or just dont like you in general.

No wonder NK wants a working launchable nuke. If not who knows what will happen down the line.

Yeah, dictators and illegitimate regimes just aren't safe anymore...