Strange Lights and Shapes

This is something that I rarely think about anymore, but I used to see strange things in my bedroom when I was very young. I used to see strange lights and shapes, and they often formed the shapes of large objects or people. They often made noises, or talked to me. They would appear in my bedroom only on certain nights, and I would sometimes yell for my parents to come in and see them. However, they would always disappear immediately when my parents came into the room. After I started elementary school, I never saw them anymore.

My parents always told me that I was just dreaming, but I know that they weren’t dreams. I remember sitting up in my bed and watching them, and I would sometimes even get up and walk around. The lights and shapes would keep moving around the room until I left or someone else came in. They would also disappear if I turned on the main light. However, I would still see them if I just turned on my flash light.

I’ve heard stories about many young kids seeing similar types of lights and shapes at night. It is usually believed that it is just part of the kid’s imagination. However, I have a very vivid memory of these lights and shapes, and I’m almost positive I didn’t imagine them. Yes, I do remember imagining things when I was that age, such as my toys being real people. However, I also remember controlling their actions with my own imagination, and I knew I was just pretending they were real. I remember looking at the strange colors and shapes, and having no control over what they did. It was like they were part of the outside world, and not part of my mind.

Does anyone have any ideas about what these lights are, and why so many younger kids see them? Could it be some type of sixth sense that you lose as you get older? Perhaps, some type of view into another dimension or parallel universe? Or could it be a part of the brain that is disconnected from consciousness, and we just learn to ignore it as we get older?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi Cap'n, thanks for the link. Yes, it sounds like the strange things I was seeing were hallucinations. Why don't I see these hallucinations anymore? Do older people have more control over their brain activity when waking up?