Anyone heard of "crushed ulna nerve"?

After hurting my neck and piled with pain killers by the doctor, I lay on my back in bed for 24 hours in the same position. After waking up I realised two of my fingers in the right hand had permanent pins and needles and were completely numb. Squeezing my hand into a fist and opening it also had uncomfortable reaction along the nerve in my elbow. The worst wre the constant cramps I would get in my hand!

I was told this was due to a crushed nerve and had an operation which was only 50% success, curing one of the fingers and leaving the other same. This is causing problems because occasionally I get cramps if I hold my hand in the same position for long periods of time. My proffession demands that I hold control instruments for long periods of time and although it has not been the cause of a major concern yet - I do worry about the condition getting worse in future.

Anyone who had any experience or suggestions for this condition, please reply.

I also suffer from a chronic pain (and chronic injury) condition where 6 years ago I dislocated my left (primary) shoulder and it regularly partially dislocates (subluxes). I have had 6 opperations and countless physiotherapy sessions (about twice a week for around 5 years) and have had very little improvment and also am not able to work.

Although I do not have extensive nerve damage ther is some there (not crushed, but there seems to be some pulling on the nerve that runs through the shoulder). Nerve injureies can be very painful and so my sympathy and understanding go out to you.

My advice it to see your physiotherapist and to keep up with the treatments that they give you. Although I haven't had much improvement from them, I do know that I would have been deteriorating if I didn't.

So despite 6 years of injury and 6 opperation I have been able to retain around 90% of the mobility (although not without signifcant pain) of the shoulder. As this injury is to my donimate arm, this has allowed me to retain a good degee of independance.

It's called an ulnar nerve, not sure if you made a typo or not? It runs along the ulna bone.

Yep, but it also runs over the outside of your elbow (funny bone area). If there's damage there it's called cubital tunnel syndrome. It's similar to carpal tunnel syndrome in that the nerve runs through a tunnel of bone and soft tissue and becomes damaged or irritated. The simple way to test for it is tapping on the area and you'll feel sharp tingly sensation in your two fingers.

• 1 month later...
Yep, but it also runs over the outside of your elbow (funny bone area). If there's damage there it's called cubital tunnel syndrome. It's similar to carpal tunnel syndrome in that the nerve runs through a tunnel of bone and soft tissue and becomes damaged or irritated. The simple way to test for it is tapping on the area and you'll feel sharp tingly sensation in your two fingers.

This must be the nerve I am referring to! It was crushed because my elbow was pressed in the same position in bed for 12-18 hours. The two fingers had permanent tingling sensation and cramps. I had one operation where the nerve was moved to a new location along the bone. That was 30% success in the sense that there is very slight tingling sensation left in the finger next to the little one, but the little one is still the same. Also if I write for a long while, I get serious cramps starting around the outside of he wrist and going down to my two fingers, lasting for many minutes.

What I like to find out is, if there is an operation that can get rid of the tingling and cramps completely. (sorry for th elate response - I have just had a long holiday abroad).