Interested in physics...what major?

Coolphreak

i'm very interested in topics such as particle physics, quantum physics, dimensional physics, string theory etc.

i am also interestd in engineering

should i get an undergrad degree in engineering (EECS most likely) and then specialize in grad school? or do an applied physics/physics major in undergrad? what job oppurtunities are there if i don't go the engineering route (other than academia)? i think there are advantages doing engineering then specializing in the above stated branches of physics: you still get a physics background...you can do scientific instrument development, and computer science skills which are very important today, also more job oppurtunities (i think). any opinions? i also don't want to get SO specialized that there are no jobs lol

I think I'm in a similiar situation, except for the fact that I have picked an engineering course, but I'm having cold feet before joining University, and have been thinking about switching to Theoretical Physics. I think Job oppurtunities in Engineering depend on the field. Personally I think for employment potential and financial security electrical/electronic and chemical engineering are the best; although others may beg to differ.

Physics is a highly valued qualification to have in many other fields, and so you don't necessarily have to be involved with research or engineering if you're a physics graduate. I think the main thing is, when you're a physics graduate; you have to be able to convince yourself and others of your potential value. My Physics teacher once told me there were more physicists working in the city(meaning financial area) than economists.

Money is obviously a big motivation for the course you pick, but above all your interest and drive for a subject has to come first. If I had to pick between the 2, I would go for the latter. With ambition, determination and dilligence you can achieve anything, so money need not be a major worry.

I see you're interested in Quantum physics, dimensional physics and other interesting areas(personally I have developed a little bit of disdain for string theory). If you're interested, and still want to do engineering; there is actually a quantum engineering course at the University of Tokyo you may be interested in. I think it is the only curse of its kind in the world. You may have to learn Japanese first though:-p .

Money is obviously a big motivation for the course you pick, but above all your interest and drive for a subject has to come first.

I couldn't agree more, I decided to start studying physics purely for the love of the subject, with no career objectives whatsoever. I'd be perfectly happy becoming proficient enough to write papers, and not even use physics with my day job. I have scanned career prospects, and they're not abundant in the physics field i.e research. Jobs in chemical engineering, pharmaceuticals, and engineering would almost guarantee a career.

Finance, couldn't interest me less, if I was to make a career through my (I hope) qualification, then it would most definitely be in the research field.

EDIT: Although I just remember an old friend who got a 1:1 in physics IIRC, who now works in satellite navigation / communication (not sure of the details) so the advancement in telecommunications et.c is probably a safe bet. If you don't fancy engineering.

thanks for the advice...i'm really more interested in research/academia than starting my own business/corporate stuff. Engineering is about making things practical, using physics..but i'm more interested in discovering the physics that engineering uses. interesting that you mentioned the course in tokyo...and i'm actually in my 3rd year of japanese now lol