Has anyone read a book called "The Road To Reality"?

RyanJ

Hi everyone!

I've been away for a while, with exams and being quite ill the last month but getting better now and I'm thining of starting anew book called The Road To Reality by Roger Penrose.

Has anyone actually read this book and have any comments on weather its worth getting ro not, the way I see it for £15 its well worth the money but I'm interested in peoples comments too :)

-- Ryan Jones

Yes, it is a most awesome book, however it has maths that are over my head. :-(

I bought it after having read another of Penrose's books, Shadows of the Mind, which was, to put it bluntly, completely absurd.

Penrose may be an awesome physicist, but when it comes to consciousness, he's completely lost.

Yes' date=' it is a most awesome book, however it has maths that are over my head. :-(

I bought it after having read another of Penrose's books, [i']Shadows of the Mind[/i], which was, to put it bluntly, completely absurd.

Penrose may be an awesome physicist, but when it comes to consciousness, he's completely lost.

Aren't we all?

I read most of Penrose's "Emperor's New Mind" and found it quite interesting. The math's were over my head there also but I think I got an impression of where he was going.

Yes' date=' it is a most awesome book, however it has maths that are over my head. :-(

I bought it after having read another of Penrose's books, [i']Shadows of the Mind[/i], which was, to put it bluntly, completely absurd.

Hmm - OK. Thanks - I'll get the book anyway and see how much of it I can understand anyway :) For £15 you can't go far wrong anyway!

-- Ryan jones

I have a signed copy that I picked up in Oxford.

I would agree with bascule, it is not an easy book and does contain a lot of modern mathematics. Pick it up and see what you can get out of it.

• 4 weeks later...