Chemical Engineering

aommaster

Yer 3 of each, oh and I would personally say that chemical engineering is concerned with the design and construction and also operation of chemical plants and machinery used in chemical process, well least that what my friends that are qualified chemical engineers do, and another thing i would also start to read A-level chemistry and Math's books, it will come in very useful, with your G.C.S.E. exams and also when you start your a-levels.

I think skye hit it pretty much on the head. That is, chemical engineers take known processes and try to make them useful or more effecient. Chemists try to discover new ways of doing things and novel chemicals.

Of course this is totally an arbitrary definition and rarely do you find it stricktly followed. That is, many chemists try to adapt known processes to do what they want them to or they are interested in making something practicle and many times chemical engineers have to do some fundamental research along the way in order to get things working well.

But as a general rule of thumb the above definition will work. So in order to decide whether or not you want to be a chemical engineer or a chemist, you must decide what sounds most fun to you. Making up new stuff, or trying to make "old" stuff usefull.

Of course you gotta look at the pay scales and schooling involved. Engineers have the advantage that they get paid alot for their bachelors degrees. But scientists have the advantage that they can do whatever they want. That is to say, no one else really determines their research direction. WHereas engineers usually belong to firms and are not allowed to do anyting that would not be profitable. But then again to be a chemist and do what you want, you must have a Ph.D. and then you are looking at 5-7 more years after college.

Anyways, i guess you just kinda have to decide whether or not the freedom to chase whatever interests you is worth an additional 5-7 years. Or perhaps you really enjoy a difficult effeciency problem. Many people do.