Ultradian Rythms.

gene

My question is simple.

What causes Ultradian Rythms? And what exactly is Ultradian rythms. I'm only sure that it is a period of time whereby you stare into blank space. And your thoughts seems to cease. I think.

An ultradian rhythm is defined as a regular (usually physiological) cycle or oscillation (e.g. of hormone levels) that takes less than a day, but greater than an hour to complete (Ultra = 'beyond'; being of greater frequency than circadian). An infradian rhythm is one that has a period of recurrence longer than a day i.e. that occurs less than once a day (Infra = 'below'; expressing a greater frequency than circadian (Latin Circa = 'about', dies = day).

The cause depends on what ultradian rhythm you are talking about.

what do you mean? You mean as in there are many types of ultradian rythms?

Well, i thought ultradian rhythm is the perios of about 20 minutes whereby your subconcious sorts of "surface". ee. i don't know. i didn't really get your explanation. :x

• 4 weeks later...

There are not 'many types' of ultradian rhythms. Anything that cycles regularly more than once a day exists in an ultradian rhythm. I.e. any rhythm that cycles in less than a day, is ultradian.

However, none of that has anything to do with what you describe. What you're talking about simply sounds like a loss of concentration. This happens to everyone from time to time. The 'concentration span' tends to be around 20 minutes (it increases with practice).

The subconscious, by definition, never 'surfaces'. However, when you are reading or taking in new information, sometimes subconscious links between it and existing 'knowledge' can be made which will bring that existing knowledge into consciousness involuntarily, i.e. it just sort of 'springs to mind'.