School wants to fire 9/11 conspiracy theorist

bascule

I think a much more plausible scenario might be that Muslims indeed did it, but U.S.A./Israel facilitated their attacks. They knew when they were going to attack, where, which specific individuals would do it, and so forth. I've read things about MOSSAD having very good infiltration into every step of radical muslim groups, but keep it hush-hush because a terrorist attack on any nation is good for Israel: it brings international support for Israel in their wars against the surrounding Arabs. Again, I've just read stuff, might very well be just conjecture. I really don't have the resources to verify things like this: the CIA and MOSSAD is not any time soon going to allow the public to see what they are actually doing. Think about this: Bush comes on tv and says things like "Our CIA has uncovered so and so and this is why we should attack so and so." But then, the public just believes all this automatically. Notice that Bush needs not provide any publically tangible physical proof. He does not tell us how things were uncovered, he does not release the evidence to the public for physical scrutiny, or anything. Bush could make just about any claim and we have no idea if its true or false. the 300 million citizens have no way of verifying all the claims.

Of course I just use Bush in this example, but the same is true of any politician of any persuation. All they need is good acting skills (any wonder why people loved Reagan?). Clinton had the weepy face thing down to an art, worked really well with the gullible masses. Bush also caught on quite well with the "compassionate" conservatism: I thought it was brilliant the way he cried on tv when he was talking about those students who fell off a tower-thing at that university in TExas and died.

Good point: anyone who works for the government would never lie to us: they are god-like figures, unfallable, and should be worshipped and honored, and anyone should be willing to give up their lives for them.

who said that besides you? ever.

who said that besides you? ever.

It was symbolic of what people often tend to believe: that various people can be given demi-god status.

The opinion of the poster seem to imply to me that someone who finds it lucrative to work as a government fire-fighter will somehow be free of any faults and take the position of a demi-god.

My opion though is that a human organism is a human organism, regardless of how he earns his money, and as such is equally capable of doing "good" or "bad" things.

I did not mean to imply that I think Fire-fighters plotted the attacks, but rather that just because one makes a living as such does not make them infallable.

But as i've stated before, hierarchy and people-worship is part of human innate behavior, we can't really change that. So who knows who or what humans will worship and submitt to in the future.

It was symbolic of what people often tend to believe: that various people can be given demi-god status.

Or maybe I just went to New York and walked past dozens of fire stations with plaques on the wall commemorating each firefighter who died during 9/11.

The opinion of the poster seem to imply to me that someone who finds it lucrative to work as a government fire-fighter will somehow be free of any faults and take the position of a demi-god.

Over 350 rescue personnel died on 9/11. You think their sacrifice was part of the conspiracy? What kind of monster are you?

My opion though is that a human organism is a human organism, regardless of how he earns his money, and as such is equally capable of doing "good" or "bad" things.

I did not mean to imply that I think Fire-fighters plotted the attacks, but rather that just because one makes a living as such does not make them infallable.

You're implying that the idea that FDNY was, in some way, part of the 9/11 conspiracy isn't absurd, and should be given credence.

But as i've stated before, hierarchy and people-worship is part of human innate behavior, we can't really change that. So who knows who or what humans will worship and submitt to in the future.

I think giving their lives in the service of our country in one of its darkest hours clearly repudiates them from being responsible for the 9/11 attacks.

Chinese Love, you're about half a post away from outright ban, not so much for the idiocy of your comments but for your antagonistic tone. This forum is about egalitarian debate, not sanctimonious demogoguery.

But Bascule, you should know better than to misquote someone in a reply. That was just plain dumb.

Chinese Love, you're about half a post away from outright ban, not so much for the idiocy of your comments but for your antagonistic tone. This forum is about egalitarian debate, not sanctimonious demogoguery.

Here is an example where a person has chosen himself as a demigod. Apparently Pangloss believes he has the supernatural ability to claim in absolute tems what is "stupid" and what is not; what is "moral" and what is not.

Pure rational thinking is very rare in the human species. In fact, it is rather disadvantageous, for irrationality and religion often serve as motivations for people to fight and die to facilitate their reproductive success, hence the ubiquitous support of religion.

Thank you, now I have a reason to issue you a warning as well.

1) I didn't "choose myself", I was asked to fill this role by the board owner.

2) I'm no "demigod", in fact I'm subject to the same rules as everyone else on this board, including yourself. I can't break them, and as your in-box just informed you, neither can you.

3) The tone and purpose of this board has been set by its present inhabitants and is guided and facilitated by myself and the other moderators. In fact the only one trying to upset the apple cart here is yourself.

You have one more chance. Use it wisely.

One further note: This thread is not about 9/11 conspiracy theories. Further posts along those lines will be SUMMARILY DELETED. We have an appropriate place to discuss conspiracy theories. The politics board is not it. (I'd offer to move them, but I don't think we can easily pluck individual posts from the inside of threads like that, and frankly it's all likely been covered over on the more appropriate pseudoscience board anyway, or wherever we're throwing this kind of nonsense these days.)

Our purpose here is elevated and intellectual discussion of real-world issues with a fundamental eye on science, its impact on those issues, and the impact those issues have on science. We are no more interested in reading about 9/11 conspiracy theories here than we are in piltdown man, phrenology or astrology. Take it elsewhere.

Furthermore, we have rules here regarding the use of logical fallacies and/or inciteful (rather than insightful) debate tactics. Take that elsewhere too.

We thank you for your cooperation.

You have one more chance. Use it wisely.

With all due respect sir, at the current moment in time, there are some 500,000 thousand discussion forums on the internet and growing, then on top of that the endless list of usenet groups. So the chance of removal from this forum is perhaps not that influencing a situation. But, in either case, I will no longer be posting in this forum after this post. I just wanted to stop by and chat a bit: I'm not much of a groopie. I like to travel the internet and experience new things, though unfortunately, virtually all people are clones of each other, so we end up having radically high levels of redundancy of websites. It's perhaps only 1 in 1 million that have something new to say, something iconoclastic and insightful.

I enjoyed all your company, but time to move on. Have a nice day :)

You're certainly right about that, which is why we set a different standard here. There are thousands of democraticunderground.coms and billoreilley.coms around the Web, all of which are more than happy to entertain radical notions, logical fallacies and partisan chicanery. We have no intention of doing so here. It is anathema to us, and I'm sorry you didn't get that message at the door.

Good luck to you.

and my post was meant to say that just because you assume thats how people are looking at something doesnt mean they actually are. no one said anything close to your statement.

its like if i said hitler was a political genius and you came back with. "oh yeah, hitler was a great guy. he loved puppies and kittens and all the children of the world. he was a great humanitarian." no... thats not what i said. stop acting like it was.

granted, bascules all caps statement about the firefighters of new york was completely worthless from a discussion point of view, he still didnt say anything about leaders being demigods.

the other thing people seem to forget pretty much anytime it suits them, is that, just as their leaders arent superheros, they arent usually complete crooks either. they are people trying to do the best job they can with a very delicate situation. they screw up, they lie sometimes, and in general they try to serve the people. bush is not out to rob the country. bush is not sauron, we dont have absolute, simple evil in the real world.

and my apologies, ill try to read ALL the new posts before i reply.:embarass:

I think it sounds like this teacher is not trying to teach. He's trying to preach and drum up support. Many college kids love to see injustice and conspiracies everywhere. I'd tell you more but my Reynolds Wrap is overdue for replacement and my mind may be controlled as I write this.

With all due respect sir, at the current moment in time, there are some 500,000 thousand discussion forums on the internet and growing, then on top of that the endless list of usenet groups.
You should stay for the math.
So the chance of removal from this forum is perhaps not that influencing a situation.
Oooh, you're right, no tears here.
But, in either case, I will no longer be posting in this forum after this post. I just wanted to stop by and chat a bit: I'm not much of a groopie. I like to travel the internet and experience new things, though unfortunately, virtually all people are clones of each other, so we end up having radically high levels of redundancy of websites. It's perhaps only 1 in 1 million that have something new to say, something iconoclastic and insightful.
Now that your beliefs are well established, I find nothing insightful about them.

Hey! I'm an iconoclast!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/21/Sept.11.prof.ap/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

I'm pretty torn on this issue.

On the one hand' date=' I think 9/11 conspiracy theorists are completely delusional, propagate a bunch of hearsay/lies/misinterpretations/half-truths between each other. This pisses me off more than Ward Churchill (at least I could see where he was coming from)

However, I can see a legitimate free speech angle here.

In the end, I'd lean towards saying can his ass for teaching lies.

In the words of the Onion... what do you think?[/quote']

How about, "An issue of separation between 'teaching' and 'preaching'? As in there being an obvious difference between 'teaching' in a publicly funded institution and 'preaching' in a public forum."?

aguy2