Democrat, or Republican

Muffin

So, what would you consider yourself?

I'd say I'm more a Republican than a Democrat. I support Bush on the war, and the economy (this whole business of the rich having to pay higher percentages than the middle class and poor really annoys me). But, I'm more a liberal when it comes to human rights, like abortion and gay marraige. And I'm a big non-supporter for universal healthcare, and I'm also not for free college.

If your a democrat, what primary candidate are you rooting for?

hmmm...i don't know. I was raised in a republican household and so i think many of my knee-jerk reactions (wich i try to control) tend to be concervative. HOwever, i realise the nessesity of a liberal approach to government. It is definately good to have a healthy suspision of the government.

I think i am started to develop libertarian ideas, but who knows. I am defniately a fan of isolationalist policies, but in the information age, i am not sure this is feasible for a world power.

As far as taxs go, well i am defnitely poor right now (grad school :P), but i do kinda agree with you muffin. Enforced charity is prolly not hte way to go. If you have lots of $$ you can donate to a soup kitchen or something. I don't know. All i know is that we didnt even have income tax until the civil war, when it was started to pay for the army. Wierd, huh?

Anyways, yeah that is where i am, kinda. Hey muffin, you ever read ayn rand? I think you would prolly like her. She is a good writter and i think you would agree with many of her ideas (thought she does kinda beat you over the head repeatededly with them). Anyways if you haven't read her, you should check out Anthem, it is a quick read (about 100 pages) and will give you a pretty good idea of where she is comming from. If you are interested, here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451191137/qid=1069820858/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-1548412-9444049

i say i'm a democrat (more natural law actually)

i disagree that tax percentages should be higher for the rich. the tax percentages should be exactly the same no matter what.

i am against the death penalty. not because it involves death, but because it doesn't seem to change anyones mind.

umm... pro choice... pro gay marriages and the like... stuff like that

but i'm only 16, so what it all comes down to is...

N/A

lol, yeah I guess I'd be n/a as well then... I am against the death penalty as well. It costs more money to carry it out, and your right, it hasn't had an impact on ppl killing other ppl.

I'm going to the library today, so i think I'll pick up a copy of Anthem. My dad actually recommended I read it too, lol.

And another point about democrats. It seems to me that their whole take on the economy is only to get votes, cuz most ppl are middle class or poor. And their position really goes against protecting minorities (something they do). The rich are a minority, and they shouldn't be taken advantage of or thought of as greedy, just because they have money.

and that raises a good question, "should the government be concerned with protecting minorities?"

Consider why we have elections. The reason why we hold elections and vote and bills and law ect. is to ensure that the will of the majority is followed (at least in theory). That is, in a Republic (i am talking about the US here) the idea of the government is to preform the will of the majority. As such, why should it bother with the concerns of the minority, if it is the majority that it is to serve?

Just some thoughts. I don't nessesarily agree with them, just thought i would throw them out there.

Cool. and i hope you enjoy Anthem, i thought it was rather well written :)

Well, I think that even though many things are decided by the majority, it is the governments job to uphold justice, for the many, or for the few. It should protect everyone's rights. In fact, quite the opposite, it should be more concerned in protecting the rights of the minority than the majority, because the latter can take care of itself, but the former needs the protection.

Oh, and guys, you might find this a bit funny, whatever you believe. It's a post someone started on a running forum, and the debate really heats up on the later pages. Enjoy! (I'm muffin there too, BTW, and stand almost alone, hehe)

http://rwforums.rodale.com/thread.jsp?forum=9&thread=147625