simplest life form???

VendingMenace

wolfson said in post #25 :

I hope you now understand were I was coming from!

i think i have a better understanding now.

but, unfortunatally, we have not studied what happens to the AD/TP before and after the ATP is synthesised. i looked in the index, glossory, and contents of my book for transposition and chemical reactant transportation, but they aren't there, so i don't know what those are.

are you saying that, if the cell could still undergo glycolysis, krebs cycle, and oxidative phosphorilation, it would be very inefficient, and very hard, to "feed" ATP, and much easier and more efficient to just feed the chemicals needed to undergo those processes?

i don't think i completely understand yet

YT2095 said in post #20 :

well call it making a bold statement of the obvious, but FIRE seems to fit the bill quite adequately too :)

let`s have a look at the current prerequisites for life according to Biology 101:

Movement: Fire moves :)

respiration: it sure does that when it gives off toxic gasses

sensitivity: it`ll move with wind

Nourishment: it uses fuel

excretia: it leaves ashes

reproduction: it sure does that :)

growth: it does that too :)

so realisticly to all intents and purposes fire COULD be considered a form of life too :)

I don`t class it as one personaly, but it sure begs an update of what "LIFE" is :)

Sayonara³ said in post #14 :

"What would Jean-Luc say?"

I've always wondered about energy based life forms and it seems to me that it might not be so hard to have one spring up in a sort of small, closed environment randomly like the first life on earth.  It need only to attain the ability to move passing energy at will....

And when exactly did the first life start to strive to keep itself alive?