Fly by wireless

Cap'n Refsmmat

Researchers have now focused their efforts at a new way of controlling an aircraft's control surfaces - wireless networks. Modern aircraft are often "fly-by-wire," where control commands are sent by computer link, and the new technology takes it to a higher level, with no cables involved altogether.

It may sound crazy, but there are potential uses, such as backup control systems (in case a control cable is cut) or to reduce complexity and weight of larger aircraft by moving some systems to wireless control.

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn9176-flybywireless-plane-takes-to-the-air.html

I would guess that given an aircraft control has only one axis of freedom you could build so much redundancy into the system that it would be for all practical purposes jam/interference proof

I would guess that given an aircraft control has only one axis of freedom you could build so much redundancy into the system that it would be for all practical purposes jam/interference proof

If there is a way to do-in a system like that you know someone will figure it out and do it.

Airplanes are vulnerable things, there are a lot of ways to knock them out of the sky. However if this were implemented in the Terahertz band (where propagating is very short range) and there was enough handshaking between the nodes, I think it could be made reasonably secure. At any rate a EMF pulse will kill Fly-by-Wire as it is.

Airplanes are vulnerable things, there are a lot of ways to knock them out of the sky. However if this were implemented in the Terahertz band (where propagating is very short range) and there was enough handshaking between the nodes, I think it could be made reasonably secure. At any rate a EMF pulse will kill Fly-by-Wire as it is.

Is EMF similar to EMP?

Were is the distinction?

• 2 weeks later...