The future of the universe?

RyanJ

Hi everyone!

I have a question for you all, we know the universe is currently expanding at an accelreated rate, if this continues then eventually every particle will end up along on its own - with nothing else anywhere around it. My question is this, given enough time could the method that created virtual particles create something much bigger such as a planet, star or a galazy?

I know if it were possible it would take a very long time as the probabilies are so low but my question is could it actually happen?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Virtual particles (hence the name) are theoretical, the effects of virtual particles have been observed, but not the particle itself e.g gravitons. Particles aren't created, virtual or otherwise, they are merely found.

As for creating planets, it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure why it would have any consequence on the expansion of the universe...perhaps you have an idea formulating that'll explain this ?

Virtual particles (hence the name) are theoretical' date=' the effects of virtual particles have been observed, but not the particle itself e.g gravitons. Particles aren't created, virtual or otherwise, they are merely found.

As for creating planets, it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure why it would have any consequence on the expansion of the universe...perhaps you have an idea formulating that'll explain this ?[/quote']

Well, we know virtual particles should be able to become real particles if they are given enough energy... so theoretically if enough energy could be borrowed then maybe it could create something much larger.

Actually the reason I was thinking about this was that even after every particle is left on its own horizon, if it were possible for things bigger then sub-atomic particles to be created meaning that over enough time theoretically anything could eb created. Just looking for something other then bleakness - it may take a long time for such a thing to occur though if ts even possible.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Do you mean manipulating the higgs field to create super massive particles that create bodies that have gravitational pull, that outweighs the repulsion of dark energy ?

EDIT: Not that I'm qualified to even be talking about the higgs field.

No, not at all. Just wondering if its theoretically possible for something larger then a virtual sub-atomic particle pair to appear from the quantum foam and gain enough energy to become a real particle given enough time.

Like I said its not linked to the expansion of the universe just that if it is possible sometime in the future when all the stars and planets are long since gone it may be possible for something to pop into existance... just curious about it.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Well, we know virtual particles should be able to become real particles if they are given enough energy...

No - that's not true. Virtual particles are always virtual.

I think what you mean is that if we have enough energy, a real particle-antiparticle pair can be produced. Below the threshold for their production they can only be created as virtual particles which have a short life time.

So in principle, if you have enough high energy photons, say, you could turn them into matter and antimatter, separate them and create a planet and an 'antiplanet'.

Just make sure they don't collide!

No - that's not true. Virtual particles are always virtual.

I think what you mean is that if we have enough energy' date=' a real particle-antiparticle pair can be produced. Below the threshold for their production they can only be created as virtual particles which have a short life time.

So in principle, if you have enough high energy photons, say, you could turn them into matter and antimatter, separate them and create a planet and an 'antiplanet'.

Just make sure they don't collide![/quote']

Well, I was thinking about the idea thats a black hole would have a virtual particle pair created above its surface, one of them being pulled in and the other "steals" some gravitational energy from the black hole and becomes a real particle... could something like that not be applied here instead of using high energy photons?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones