Gary Mckinnon hacking the US military

abskebabs

Many of you may have heard of the relatively recent news about a British hacker, Gary McKinnon facing extradidation to a military tribunal in the US. For a few years he was able to snoop through computers at the department of defense, NASA, etc, etc, etc. He said he was searching for information about UFOs, secret technology as well as free energy technology! Even more shockingly he said he found what he was looking for, and I quote from a BBC interview he gave:

"SK: Did you find what you were looking for?

GM: Yes.

SK: Tell us about it.

GM: There was a group called the Disclosure Project. They published a book which had 400 expert witnesses ranging from civilian air traffic controllers, through military radar operators, right up to the chaps who were responsible for whether or not to launch nuclear missiles.

They are some very credible, relied upon people, all saying yes, there is UFO technology, there's anti-gravity, there's free energy, and it's extra-terrestrial in origin, and we've captured spacecraft and reverse-engineered it.

SK: What did you find inside Nasa?

GM: One of these people was a Nasa photographic expert, and she said that in building eight of Johnson Space Centre they regularly airbrushed out images of UFOs from the high-resolution satellite imaging. What she said was there was there: there were folders called "filtered" and "unfiltered", "processed" and "raw", something like that.

I got one picture out of the folder, and bearing in mind this is a 56k dial-up, so a very slow internet connection, in dial-up days, using the remote control programme I turned the colour down to 4bit colour and the screen resolution really, really low, and even then the picture was still juddering as it came onto the screen.

But what came on to the screen was amazing. It was a culmination of all my efforts. It was a picture of something that definitely wasn't man-made.

It was above the Earth's hemisphere. It kind of looked like a satellite. It was cigar-shaped and had geodesic domes above, below, to the left, the right and both ends of it, and although it was a low-resolution picture it was very close up.

This thing was hanging in space, the earth's hemisphere visible below it, and no rivets, no seams, none of the stuff associated with normal man-made manufacturing.

SK: Is it possible this is an artist's impression?

GM: I don't know... For me, it was more than a coincidence. This woman has said: "This is what happens, in this building, in this space centre". I went into that building, that space centre, and saw exactly that. "

I would like to know what ppl's opinions are on this. I personally really hope this guy doesn't get extradited to the US as I don't think he'll get a fair trial. They claim he's damaged their computers, but he said from the start all he was doing was viewing them; as causing damage would have been far more obvious. Interestingly it took them 2 years to find him out:-p ! Also plenty of hackers have been viewing these computers, he was just unlucky enought to get caught. Intriguingly, he suggested a lot of these may have been from foreign governments:-p .

I would be very interested to know ppl's opinion on this, and so that's why I have posted. I know I should be skeptical, but I don't think the guy is lying(or maybe I'm just under his spell:rolleyes: )).

I have placed a link to the interview below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4977134.stm

I personally really hope this guy doesn't get extradited to the US as I don't think he'll get a fair trial. They claim he's damaged their computers' date=' but he said from the start all he was doing was viewing them; as causing damage would have been far more obvious.

[/quote']

And you don't think high-level, extensive espionage for two years is a serious crime?

And why in the world don't you think he's lying about such fantastic claims?

if he's telling the truth, it shouldnt be too hard for him to prove. I'd assume that he'd have collected evidence of better quality than a 4bit colour photo at some point, and airbrushing is detectable, so there should be nasa-released satalite photos that have evidence of doctoring that shouldn't be too hard to find.

In the abscence of this -- and, say, an explanation of how any UFOs that are present during the real-time viewing of satalite imagery by military people during missions are covered up, I dont really see any reason to believe his claims.

And you don't think high-level' date=' extensive espionage for two years is a serious crime?

And why in the world don't you think he's lying about such fantastic claims?[/quote']

To me it depends on what they're hiding, but I personally don't consider it immoral or a serious crime(is that quite bad?). Besides he's probably gonna be used as a poster boy or scapegoat for hackers by receiving a hety sentene to discourage others from doing the same. They may be partially desparate to give him 60 years in prison, because he's the only person out of a great many they've been able to catch.

I guess the reason I believe he's telling the truth is more of a gut feeling after watching the video. To be honest I'm not sure and I suppose ure right I should be more skeptical(but I think I'm equally paranoid too to balance that!:D ).

btw has any1 seen the video interview yet?

Also one more thing, if he is lying what do you think his motives may be for doing that and hacking these sites for 2 years? I suppose one reason to lie maybe to get some media attention, and thereby some public support aganst his perhaps trial.

Hacking into DoD or NASA or whatever else he did should be a very serious crime, yes, and he should get a hefty sentence precisely to make an example of him. If they can't show that it was malicious, this should mitigate it somewhat, obviously, but it is still quite serious, as far as I'm concerned.

As for his motives for lying, he might just be a little crazy, but I think it's more likely he just has the theatrical, anti-establishment sensibility of most hackers. He probably just wants to cause a little mayhem and mess with people. Why do hackers do what they do? Because they're egotistical anarchists. They hack into the DoD just to show that they can, that they have "outwitted" what should be the most heavily guarded networks in the world, and because they like to see the powerful humiliated and confused. Making a spectacle of himself with these wild stories and using people's paranoia to simultaneously outwit them and cause headaches for the government plays into this sensibility perfectly.

And, of course, the DoD really needs to get its act together...

And, of course, the DoD really needs to get its act together...

Inspite of what I have said on this thread I do agree with you! I found it quite amusing when hearing how easy it was to hack into those computers!

Also do you really think he was loggin on to these computers for 2 years just because of his egotistical, antiestablishment, anarchist personality or worldview? He's got to have been viewing something interesting(even if it's not what he claimed). Heck if I had the capabillity to do this, and knew a way to do it whereby I wouldn't get caught, I might consider even doing the same thing(just to satisfy my curiosity)!

I am still suspiscious of him though. What would you do if you saw a real UFO image on java remote viewer? PRESS PRINT SCREEN! Also, he said just happened to be caught when he accessed the image. I guess it does sound like bs now...