California Ash

KFC

Two or Three year ago there was a ever bad fires that got close to Los Angeles, I was wondering what is the chemical composition of ash? And what does it do to your lungs and body in detail?

-Or is it just carbon

Plant ashes consist mainly of salts, which were in the plants. They are a rich source of potassium ions. A main constituent of plant ashes is potassium carbonate. Of course, many other salts will be in ashes, such as sulfates, chlorides, salts of sodium, calcium and magnesium. These salts make ashes appear light (grey, or even white). The grey/black color is caused by remains of soot, but also remains of soil can be present in the ashes.

As you see, it is a fairly complex mixture. The salts can be easily extracted, by adding water to the ashes. Part of it dissolves, what remains solid is the carbon remains and remains of soil. When allowed to settle, a colorless liquid with the dissolved salts is formed above a grey/black precipitate. When this liquid is evaporated, then a nice white salt mix remains behind.

Two or Three year ago there was a ever bad fires that got close to Los Angeles' date=' I was wondering what is the chemical composition of ash? And what does it do to your lungs and body in detail?

-Or is it just carbon[/quote']

Well, the composition of ash varies dependingon exactly what was burned, the temperature of the fire etc.

Lots of metal salts and as I remember lots of potassium carbonate?

When it does into your lungs, due to it being fine particles it can become stuck and can damage the mucus lining that prevents bacteria and the like fron getting to the lungs surface. The damage however is quite easy to fix as long as there is not a lot of it :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones