Bug Zapper

zking786

I've seen lots of these used to kill mosquitoes in the night. Since they are attracted to the light, they approach the light and are zapped. Any idea how these devices work? I'm trying to build one.

bug gets vapourized by the current.

Not always. I recall a June bug getting zapped, and remaining for a while. Had to unplug and pry the leftover part out. :)

The closely spaced wires the Cap'n mantioned are two layers of screen mesh, separated by a small distance. I imagine the outer mesh of the cage is ground, and the high voltage is on the interior, for safety reasons. It's AC, with a transformer to step up the voltage.

Mosquitoes, unfortunately, aren't actually attracted by the UV of the zappers that attracts other bugs.

it`s often a high frequency charge the sort used in the pocket flourescent tube lights, it`s only about 1Kv at a few mA but the High frequency causes RF burns, on some of the cheaper models the same driver for the light is also used on the mesh.

That's odd' date=' cause I see lots of mosquitoes around my tube lights.

[/quote']

But is it because they're attracted to it, or that they are there anyway? If it's at night, you wouldn't see them where it wasn't light, but not because they aren't there.