alpha decay

Sarahisme

Hi all.

i can't quite figure out how to modify the equation for this alpha particle decay stuff....any ideas ?

picture52an.png

i think i need to modify this equation:

picture63qp.png

anyway, help would be great! :)

thanks guys & gals ;)

Sarah

EG is the energy of the ground state?

You have the tunneling probability for one strike against a barrier. If you have the energy of the alpha, you should be able to calculate how often it hits the barrier, and get the total probability of tunneling.

You can use the U-235 data to fix one parameter of your equation, and then estimate the Pu-239 half-life.

EG is the energy of the ground state?

You have the tunneling probability for one strike against a barrier. If you have the energy of the alpha' date=' you should be able to calculate how often it hits the barrier, and get the total probability of tunneling.

You can use the U-235 data to fix one parameter of your equation, and then estimate the Pu-239 half-life.[/quote']

but don't i have to change the equation because the current equation contains mu, which is the reduced mass?

sorry i should dexplain, ...initially this equation was for two protons colliding and possible fusing...

hmm i am getting confused...

ok lets start from the begining....

we are given that

[math] \lambda = v \rho [/math]

then i think i need to somehow manipulate the equation in my first post...hmmmmm