quantum computers AND charges

computerages

Hi, I just had a few questions regarding quantum computers AND charges....

Are the quantum computers same as the magnetic computers? If they are not, then do they have any similar property? And what is the orientation of binary language in magnetic computers?

How do we know whether the electroscope has a positive or a negative charge, and how can a human body induce a charge since it's neutral. How working against friction charges a body, what's so special about friction in this case? And why would something light up as it gains enough charges?

Thx. :D

What is a magnetic computer? You mean like a hard drive which uses magnets to store data in a similar way that a CD uses a laser?

As I don't know what you mean by "magnetic computers" I don't know if it is the same as a quantum computer (QC), but I would doubt it.

A magnetic field can be set to 1 or 0 according to magnetic polarity which can be changed and/or read.

That last para of yours kinda seemed like 5 questions all just thrown in randomly. Friction like that works because when you rub a surface electrons will transfer from one surface to another, thus they will both become charged (one -ve and one +ve).

Well, I don't even know myself what a magnetic computer is, I just heard about it from my physics teacher. But I have a feeling that he was referring to quanutm computer...

Anyway, thanks for the response. Reffering to the friction question, how can we be sure the object which was rubbed has either positive or negative charges? My teacher told me something about atomic nature of the object, but I didn't "throughy" understand...

Also, if you get chance, don't forget to answer other questions too...

Quantum computers work by storing 1s or 0s in the spin of, well, not sure, either in the spin of an electron or the overal spin of an atom.

As for the friction it depends on the object. Some materials want to lose electrons, some want to gain. When you rub two objects assuming there is electron transfer the only way of knowing which way it is is either to know which material will either give or accept electrons or you could measure the charge on it afterwards and then work out your own answer.

How do we know whether the electroscope has a positive or a negative charge, and how can a human body induce a charge since it's neutral.
An electroscope such as a gold leaf electroscope cannot tell you whether it is +ve (positive) or -ve (negative) charged, it only indicates that it is (or is not) charged. As you say a human body is neutral so I would not expect it to induce a charge on an electroscope. However the body could become charged through friction and that is a possible explanation as to why that could happen.

And why would something light up as it gains enough charges?

I don't know, would it? Maybe it sparks to reduce its overall charge.