Fermented beans are quieter and more nutritious.(SciAm)

Martin

who cares about that... do they taste better?

as far as taste, that is obviously a matter of taste

The only comment I have seen is from someone who LIKED the effect of fermentation. Said it improved the aroma (of the beans). This was Marisela Granito of the Food Analysis Laboratory at Simon Bolivar University in Venezuela.

for more about that, and Marisela Granito, see

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000D29BE-9633-1EFC-BA6A80A84189EEDF&sc=I100322

-----------------------

you also ask "who cares about that" (gas I assume)

A lot of people care so much that they buy an expensive enzyme to eat with their beans. the product is called "Beano".

this prefermenting thing, if it ever got to market, would reduce the demand for Beano I suppose.

aren`t the products of fermenting beans things like Soy Sauce, Black bean paste and Monosodium glutamate also?

I`m fairly sure that`s how it`s made.

even Fish gets fermented to make Nam Pla (Nuk Mam).

I seem to remember you can get a dish made with fermented cabbage too (never tried that).

aren`t the products of fermenting beans things like Soy Sauce,

Yep.

Black bean paste

Yep.

and Monosodium glutamate also?

It can be made from soy beans.

I`m fairly sure that`s how it`s made.

even Fish gets fermented to make Nam Pla (Nuk Mam).

I seem to remember you can get a dish made with fermented cabbage too (never tried that).

Sauerkraut I suppose.

what about TOFU?

it tastes pretty bland (not like black bean paste)

I wonder if there is any fermentation stage involved in its manufacture

no, it's soybean curd treated with a coagulent.

I think Tempeh might be, though... that's cultured with something, at least.

tofu is the soya bean rehydrated, then mashed down and spun, the liquid that comes off it then put into a vat and treated Magnesium chloride (if mem serves), then stired and allowed to coagulate, the liquid is then taken off to become soya milk and the semi solids are then pressed in a cheese cloth under roughly 150lb weight for a while, then unwraped the edges cut off and then a cuttind to is placed and pressed cutting them to uniform cubes, they`re then treated with flavorings (some of them) packaged and heat treated. the bean pulp from the spinning is made into artificial meats and the likes.

nothing`s fermented.

thanks both for the information

I am still curious as to how they fermented the beans which they used to feed the rats in the experiment. the article said they used two different bacteria, and gave the name.

"...Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum combine to remove fibers and make more nutrients available, according to the research presented in today's Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture..."

one of them was a type used in making yoghurt

I wonder if they had to mill or crush the beans prior to fermentation, or simply let them soften by soaking

WHOAH! I found the scientific journal article that goes with this!

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112592800/ABSTRACT

----quote----

Lactic acid fermentation of black beans (Phaseolus vulgaris): microbiological and chemical characterization

Marisela Granito *, Glenda Álvarez

Simón Bolívar University, 1090 A Caracas, Venezuela

email: Marisela Granito (mgrarito@usb.ve)

Abstract

Legumes, and particularly Phaseolus vulgaris, are an important source of nutrients, especially in developing countries. In spite of being part of the staple diets of these populations, their consumption is limited by the flatulence they produce. Natural lactic acid fermentation has proved to be an effective method to decrease flatulence-producing compounds. However, in order to use this method as a process on a large scale, it is fundamental to identify the microbial flora involved. When fermented seeds of Phaseolus vulgaris (black bean) were analysed microbiologically, it was found that the microorganisms present were Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum. On performing back-slopping or induced fermentation with different inocula, a 63.35% decrease was found for the soluble fibre and 88.6% for raffinose, one of the main flatulence-producing compounds. When cooking under atmospheric pressure was applied to the fermented samples, a significant diminution of the trypsin inhibitors and tannins was found as well as an increase in the in vitro and in vivo digestibility of the beans. All these results demonstrate that the lactic acid bacteria used for the induced fermentation can lead to a functional food with improved nutritional quality.

---endquote---