Teflon non stick pan, hot oil, cold substance.

SeaSpark

I have witnessed strange things happening in my non-stick teflon coated pan:

When i put a cold substance (hamburger for example) in my 35cm teflon pan filled with a thin layer of olive oil (did not try other oils results may be same) the oil retracts from the cold substance in about a 20cm wide circle. Leaving the bottom of the pan completely free of oil.

The pan is perfectly flat and horizontal, the oil forms a nice evenly spread layer before i put something cold in.

How is this possible?

Sorry if anyone finds my english a bit strange, i'm from Holland.

Good question. As what alpha said (err, I think what he said anyway) was that it may be moisture from the cold thing that is pushing the oil back. Of course you would probably notice this. Is the part with no oil just dry? If so I'm out of ideas.

And your english seems perfect.

it would be interesting to test this with something equaly cold and of similar shape but Not containing moisture. a Hockey Puck left in the freezer would be ideal.

it`s also quite possibly a density change for the oil, combined with a surface tension change.