Birth sets brainpower limit?

Cloud

I don't know if this has come up before or whether its a good question at all.

(e.g. I'm naive)

Are humans born with a pre-programmed limit of intelligence (I use that word with latitude).

E.g. - I've heard people say - Man, he's a genius. He must have been born with that brain.

Does that mean you must be born with an exceptional brain to be very intelligent. You can't earn it. There is only a certain level which you can biologically/mentally attain.

I would say, academically, I'm above average but there are people who are far clever than I am (who are the same age). Were these people born with a better brain or what. No matter how hard I try - I can't compete. They seem as if they don't even have to do much to get A grades, whilst I have to work real hard for the same grade.

And what does this mean for employment?

There will always be someone better than me.

Hope all this makes sense.

Can someone just discuss their views/understanding of this.

Thanks.

Current understanding has it that intelligence is determined by both genetics and environment. Some people are naturally smarter than others, it's true, and this accounts for a large variation. However, there is also a large environmental component, wherein proper stimulation (especially in the early years) actually makes you smarter. Most really smart people don't just have "better brains." They've "learned" how to think better, and had more exposure to complex thought and creative problem solving.

hello

asimple answer would be yes, you do have some limit. most research points to the fact that the human brain is divided in to numerous processing areas. sight, speech, spacial recognition, hearing, lanuage, etc...

you are born with a brain that is as you put it preprogrammed where your brain can handle that process.

but other factors apply, i might have a brain that has a higher capacity for handling numbers, but your brain might have the faster firing neurons, or neurons that can recover their charge quicker. also how each persons neural pathways are linked, or how strong those pathways develope can differ.

also it depends on how much you use your areas of the brain. or the old addage from many teachers and professors 'apply yourself sir, or your never reach your full potential.'. your mind my handle numbers wonderfully, but you hate math and never concern yourself with the subject.

no particular advantage to to you.

mr d