Making or Buying an Elecromagnet

alan2here

I would like to make or buy an elecromagnet

I need it to fill roughly thease requirement's:

be in the range of 200g to 1kg in what it can pick up

Be 6 to 30 cm long and

Be tube shaped

Be hollow so stuff can be placed inside the tube

Be a reasonable price considering I am just buying it to experiment not to start a buisness.

I say roughly because sercing with google, ebay and wiki only reveals ones that are way off in all of thease aspects so ones which are just way off in some of thease aspects will probbebly do.

:¬)

what the application for? some sort of solenoid?

it`s the Tube shape I don`t understand, is the 1kg weight to be picked up Outside this tube or held inside the tube?

the reason I ask is because that will determine the type/thickness of metal the tube is to be made of :)

For use with ferrofluid

Its like magnetic oil, fun but messy, requires a lot of plastic sheeting

The magnets that came with it are strong enough to pick up somewhere between 1kg and 2kg each (about the wight of a hammer) while being verry small (cilindrical and about 2cm diamiter and 1cm height). The elecromagnet dosnt need to be quite this strong to have effect on the fluild by fridge magnets are not strong enough.

I would like to be able to turn them on/off and pule them on/off and experiment involving putting some fluid inside the center of the magnet, none of thease things are possible with non-electro magnets.

well, The stuff I bought online is quite crazy enough and sufficant quantity, so I don't need to try and make it, Also some of the ingredants there, lol

MEASURE 10ML OF FERRIC CHLORIDE (PCB ETCHANT) INTO A PYREX CUP
IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA, HEAT THE SOLUTION TO NEAR BOILING.
ADD 5ML OF OLEIC ACID.

I took a coupple of lines from the recipie you sent me and put them in code tags

If your going to buy "ferric clloride" and "oleic acid" and a big fan for the venalation you may as well just buy ferrofluid.

Unless however you own a lab?

Edit:

This being the forum it is im guessing that people who post here may acctually own there own labs.

If your going to buy "ferric clloride" and "oleic acid" and a big fan for the venalation you may as well just buy ferrofluid.

Unless however you own a lab?

Well' date=' I sort of have a lab :)

Oleic acid gets a lot of people, here is what Wikipedia says:

Oleic acid comprises 55-80% of olive oil and 15-20% of grape seed oil.

Not so bad ei?

As for iron(III) chloride (ferric clloride) it can be pretty nasty stuff as it is a corrosive liquid that is sometimes used to treat sewage.

Anyway its probably easier just to buy the stuff but I find it more fun to try to make it, fail, and then buy the stuff :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

• 2 weeks later...