A challenge to science?

I am studying physics. A recent holiday found me in the lab with some laser equipment. Having been facinated with Star Wars from a young age I set about wondering how to make a lightsaber.

The problem is not in the laser beam, but how to stop it at a certain point. One possibility was a mirror on a piece of wire that would be projected under the power of the light photons to the projected length of the retainer.

The other possibilty would be using the same concept, but merely tethering a small black hole to the end to absorb the laser. What problems could this cause? Could it be done?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but would love some input.

I am studying physics. A recent holiday found me in the lab with some laser equipment. Having been facinated with Star Wars from a young age I set about wondering how to make a lightsaber.

The problem is not in the laser beam' date=' but how to stop it at a certain point. One possibility was a mirror on a piece of wire that would be projected under the power of the light photons to the projected length of the retainer.

The other possibilty would be using the same concept, but merely tethering a small black hole to the end to absorb the laser. What problems could this cause? Could it be done?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but would love some input.[/quote']

Its not really possible to contain light as its unaffected by just about everything of practical use, magnetic fields and the like. Mirrors would be useless because even they can be cut with a lazer of sufficient power.

The black hole idea is rather interesting though - how would you tether it and how would you make it move with the waepon. Another problem is how would you stop the black hole getting bigger and absorbing things other then what you want it to absorb?

It should also be noted that a small black hole would probably evaporate really fast releasing a vast amount of eenergy in the process.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I would probably use a piece of string or fishing reel for extra stregth. it wouldn't move about because the string would be really tight.

I'm not sure how to stop the black hole evaporating though...possibly a jet of water to keep it moist.

I don't think it would suck in surrounding matter because of all the light we were 'feeding' it.

One possible way is to have a glass or acrylic tube for the light saber that full of a gaseous material, through which, the laser will create light emisions, glow, and reflections. Lasar displays in the sky use water vapor in clouds sort of a similar way. The laser can be reflected at the end of the tube. Reflection will recycle more laser light for the glow.

I would probably use a piece of string or fishing reel for extra stregth. it wouldn't move about because the string would be really tight.

The black hole would simply destroy the string its self - the string can't actually "touch" it without getting pulled in its self.

I'm not sure how to stop the black hole evaporating though...possibly a jet of water to keep it moist.

Sorry - should have made that clear. This is not normal evaporation' date=' it can't be stopped by any known process. If your interested this may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

I don't think it would suck in surrounding matter because of all the light we were 'feeding' it.

Black holes are not really choosey - they simply pull in anything that gets close too them - even if all the light is being pulled in the black hole will gladly "eat" the string, matter, energy arround it :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

asumming you could focus the laser at a point, make it stop after that point, and make the "blade" visible, how would you be able to use it like a sword? the "blades" would pass through each other.