chemical engineering

smurf

An answer completely "off the top of my head" form someone who has absolutely no knowledge of chemical engineering....

"why wouldn't chemical engineers be as important?"

It would seem to me that there will always be a need for "new chemicals" as technology progresses. New technologies will arise, new ways of manufacuring things, and newer and better "things" will require more chemicals.

I guess my short answer is: "yes".

Engineers, in just about the most general terms, use equations as tools to help solve problems. The extra tool in a chemical engineers' belt would be the ability to also use chemistry to solve problems, this will always be necessary.

Now, that said, traditional chemical engineering is disappearing. One of the real indicators of this is the large of amount of departments that are no longer "chemical engineering" but now "chemical and biological engineering." AIChE is even considering a name change.

Not only biological interests, but nano technology is another huge area chemical engineers are in. The traditional core, or studying distillation and reactor design, is beginning to be supplanted by bio-engineering or nano-engineering.

It used to be that the overwhelming majority of ChE undergrads went to a refinery or bulk chemical company, like Dow. Nowadays, graduates go to just as many pharmaceutical and agricultural plants as chemical companies.

I guess, in terms of if you look at all the areas ChE researchers are in, all of those will become increasingly important in upcoming years. On the other hand, what chemical engineering was, and to a degree is, may never be what chemical engineering will be in the future. I can see the possibility that chemical engineers will eventually fracture into the different disciplines, not unlike how chemical engineering split from chemistry departments several years ago.

As long as there is a demand for chemicals be it petrochem, hydrogen if we switch to fusion and fuel cells, pharmaceuticals basically any manufactue of any chemicals we'll be needed. since oil is running out i wouldn't be surprised to see the demand for chemical engineers rise since new chemical plants will need to be made to make various petroleum substitutes. the proper term for a chemical engineer is "Chemical and Process Engineer".

One of the things about chemical engineering, especially today, is that it offers the most diversified science education. One needs to know a lot of math, chemistry, physics, biology, computers, economics, fluid dynamics, mass and heat transfer, thermodynamics, chemical reaction kinetics, process control. I am sure I missed many others. This makes one extremely well rounded and flexible. It also allows one to fit in anywhere from pure research, development, design and production. There will always be a need for so many skills.

Wow sunspot got one right.

Rising moon: It depends on the type of nano technology but why would we need to? we are concerned about making chemicals. these may be very simple(ammonia, sulphuric acid, nitric acid) or very complex(various drugs and polymers). nano technology i think would be more of a electro/mechanical field or closer to biology.

One of the things about chemical engineering, especially today, is that it offers the most diversified science education. One needs to know a lot of math, chemistry, physics, biology, computers, economics, fluid dynamics, mass and heat transfer, thermodynamics, chemical reaction kinetics, process control. I am sure I missed many others. This makes one extremely well rounded and flexible. It also allows one to fit in anywhere from pure research, development, design and production. There will always be a need for so many skills.

Sounds good! I've already applied for chem eng through UCAS. I am wondering tho whether physics could hav been an option though as that does interest me a lot too....

abskebabs: You should be able to pick a physics related elective(if you get the chance to pick electives) in the university you end up in. personally i didn't pick that elective because it was all about waves and i suck at waves. ChemEng is a good course. hope you get in.

abskebabs: You should be able to pick a physics related elective(if you get the chance to pick electives) in the university you end up in. personally i didn't pick that elective because it was all about waves and i suck at waves. ChemEng is a good course. hope you get in.

Thanks dude, I was wondering actually, if my uni didn't have an elective course in Physics could I still study it privately, if I wished, with textbooks and some assistance, presumably from the Physics department at that Uni? That is assuming I have the freetime tho, I know chem eng is heavy course[that aspect I like weirdly! Maybe I relish a challenge] and I will be doing a lot of other things too.

• 2 months later...

Hi there:

Chemical engineers will be even more important in the future than they are today -- at the present time chemical engineers contribute a lot ...

Hydrogen economy is just one of the reasons to support my opinion ...

Thanks,

Gordan

• 6 months later...