Food and alcohol

grayfalcon89

This is just a hypothesis I came up during health class but my teacher is unable to verify it.

Let's say you eat at McDonalds and go to get couple beers. I said it depends on the amount but my classmates said:

Food in the stomach allows a person to drink heavily without becoming intoxicated.

I have to disagree on this statement. I remember from movies (since I'm not legally allowed to drink so I can't test this myself :) ) that even you were eating some other food with alcohol, you will still get wasted, or intoxicated. I'm pretty sure this is right but I"m just curious.

that's not much of a hypothesis' date=' I'll be honest...

It's true that that having food in your stomach can slow the effects of alcohol, but that doesn't mean you are immune from getting drunk.[/quote']

Yay!

ha.. I wonder what kind of world this planet will be if you can keep drinking and not getting drunk if you were eating something with it. :D

Yay!

ha.. I wonder what kind of world this planet will be if you can keep drinking and not getting drunk if you were eating something with it. :D

a planet full of people who don't mind growing fat for the sake of alcohol.ha ha ha:-)

food slows the absorbtion of the alcohol into the bloodstream.you only get drunk when the alcohol is in your blood.

i had a few pints over lunch today(an hour ago) and i'm just starting to feel the effects of the alcohol. it was a very big lunch

You do become less drunk, generally, but you also become drunk for longer. The food in the stomach temporarily absorbs alcohol and dilutes it, meaning it's more slowly absorbed into the bloodstream, meaning the "drunk" is spread out.

It's generally not a good idea to drink on an empty stomach...