Question about quantum uncertainty and a singularity

RyanJ

Question about quantum uncertainty and a singularity.

If a black holes center is infinitely small then if matter falls in is it not certain that the matter can be found in that small space, in other words does it violate the theory of quantum uncertainty?

Also, the “spacetime jitters” that are thought to exist at scales smaller then Plank’s length, would these be amplified inside the black hole thus stopping you theoretically (because you simply can’t) using a singularity to probe something in scales smaller then the planks length (Which should not be allowed should it?)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

The Heisenburg uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainty in a particle's position (dx) and the uncertianty in the particle's momentum (dp) is larger than a certain quantity.

(dp)(dx) > h / (2 pi)

This mean that is you manage to confine a particle in a small volume (resulting in a small uncertainty in position) then there will be a large uncertainty in the momentum of the particle. The particle will be bouncing around wildly inside it's allowed space.

In order to have a particle confined to a singularity (dx=0) will imply an infinite amount of uncertainty in the particle's momentum (dp=infinity) in order to avoid violating the uncertainty principle. This would mean that you would have no idea what the momentum of the particle was.

I am not able to comment to space-time jitters at plank length scales.

The Heisenburg uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainty in a particle's position (dx) and the uncertianty in the particle's momentum (dp) is larger than a certain quantity.

(dp)(dx) > h / (2 pi)

This mean that is you manage to confine a particle in a small volume (resulting in a small uncertainty in position) then there will be a large uncertainty in the momentum of the particle. The particle will be bouncing around wildly inside it's allowed space.

In order to have a particle confined to a singularity (dx=0) will imply an infinite amount of uncertainty in the particle's momentum (dp=infinity) in order to avoid violating the uncertainty principle. This would mean that you would have no idea what the momentum of the particle was.

Ah I understand, its not 0 it is infinity :) Hmm maybe that can be accounted for by the fact that all the stuff is confined in such a small space?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I thought the uncertainity principle was just something that limits out ability to measure stuff. It dosn't change the truth of the particle's speed/momentum being the way it is.

We can measure a singluarity because it's not going anywhere, so there's nothing to be uncertain about.

I'm sure the Universe knows what it's doing and what's happening. ;-)

Something cannot have both precise momentum and precise position at once.

Say you had some particles at a very low temperature. Even if you made no measurements of momentum, you would find that you could not make a precise measurement of their position.

I think this is because of the similar equation for deBroglie wavelength:

[math]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/math]

I'm still doing research but it appears the answer is no contradiction because at the scales we are dealing with the “quantum jitters” would prevent us knowing almost anything abut the singularity its self let along where it lies nor where its parts are, the question is actually meaningless now I think about it because matter, energy and space are all concepts that are worthless in the singularity…

Cheers,

Ryan Jones