What heats up the fastest? Salt, sweet or tap water?

Snowfynn

As the title says, I'm really desperate to know the answer.

Please write why it is either 'salt', 'sweet' or 'tap water'.

I have been searching for the answer on the internet but failed to find it.

I am trying to meet a deadline for my assignment so fast response would be very appreciated.

Please help.

Well, I would say pure water for the simple reason there is less stuff (impurities) to heat up also, dissolving stuff in it increases its boiling point I believe so lack of dissolved materials should have the highest boiling point.

The same is true for melting point, it is lowered by impurities so it should be correct.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Tell me i am being thick, it was all a long time ago, but isn' it basically a question of relative latent heat?

If the latent heat of water is 1, and you add to it a substance with lower latent heat, then volume for volume the latent heat will be less, and for the same heat input, temp. rise will be greater, and vice-versa

Hm.... strange. I finally got in contact with my friends and asked what they got on their graphs (since I was absent when they did the experiment) and they all had 'sweet water' as the fastest one to heat up. Too bad none of them knew why.

Why is this the case? Someone please explain. :-(

Hm.... strange. I finally got in contact with my friends and asked what they got on their graphs (since I was absent when they did the experiment) and they all had 'sweet water' as the fastest one to heat up. Too bad none of them knew why.

Why is this the case? Someone please explain. :-(

Maybe what gcol said is correct.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Maybe what gcol said is correct.

Not quite' date=' i'm afraid. I said [i']latent heat[/i], should have been specific heat, very different.

I think that no other substance has a specific heat greater than water, therefore adding anything to water ( except ice cubes for example, which introduces the complication of specific heat), will reduce its specific heat, and any impure water will require less heat to raise its temperature.

The reduction in heat will depend upon the latent heat in total, proportionately, of the impurities.

Over to the experts......

Awesome. Thank you all for helping. :)

gcol, I will give you full credit on my assignment for your explanation.

If anybody else would like to add an explanation, please do so!

Thank you again!!! *bows down to everyone who replied on this thread*