Interesting Observation to share

YT2095

I`ve just finished a small Voltage multiplier 10x 0.1mfd capacitors rated at 1kv each in a 5 stage ladder, I`ve powered this up at roughly 1kv at 8Khz (current unknown but quite low).

I get a half inch spark every second (a little less time on occasion) and the sound is like a Whip cracking with a bright UV type flash (I still have spots in front of my eyes). I thought I`de intecept this arc with an old envelope laying about on my desk, it still worked, but there`s a series of tiny holes through the paper now, including the part where the sticky is, about the size of a pin prick.

the REALLY interesting part is that upon closer examination the "Blow out" hole it towards the Possitive side of the electrode.

a bit like firing a ballistic round at a tin plate, one side has a smooth dip with a dent Inwards (concave) the Other has the hole with lots of sharp pointy outy bits and a the convex dent.

the concave was the Negative side, the convex was the Positive side.

and other than a VERY slight yellowing around such tiny pin holes, there is NO burn marks at all.

Truly Fascinating! I can only assume for the time being that it`s all to do with electron flow from Neg to Pos and that`s also what carries the Momentum for the mini "Blast" holes.

Sounds a little like a spark timer from a freshman physics lab of a few years back. Drop a mass with a paper "tail" through it, and the sparks mark roughly constant time intervals, so you can measure g. I don't know if it was that paper's composition, but I recall some charring in that case.

Hmmm.. it was probably at a high frequency if it caused charing, I have a transformer here that I run at about 10Khz only delivers about 3kv the arc will set fire to paper instantly, it`s a purple(ish) arc and gets quite hot, whereas the multiplier I used above is DC and makes a very loud Bang sound with a bright white/blue Lightening color flash.