Motorola 68000 - [ idiot in need ]

xepton

Hi, er.. To cut a long story short, I am having ENORMOUS difficulties getting to grips with even the simplets aspects of Motorola 68000 assembly language.

I have an assignment looming whereby I need to write a very simple program with it, yet even after studying resources for over 5 hours today and for many other hours throughout this week, I don't feel like I'm making any progress in understanding what in the heck I'm doing.

Basically this is a call for help.. This really is my last hope.

What I suppose I'm needing are:

1. Somebody who understands basic 68000, and who wouldn't mind helping me slightly with it.

or

2. Some good links that explain 68000 programming from the absolute basics up. So far, all resources so far (both websites and books), have barely seemed to help. Also that give example programs and explain what each component of them actually means.

Lord help me.

thanks for your time

• 3 weeks later...

Oh okay thankyou.

Is anybody actually familliar with the language themself?

I have a programming task that I need to do, but I just don't seem to be able to digest this language at all.

I'm in severe need..

I used to code 680x0 for the Amiga, sadly my old books are still packed (moved house), and so I can`t help on Specifics exactly as the books have my tables in also.

are you coding in ASM or MC and what exactly are you stuggling with?

Oh, er.. ASM. (although I aren't sure that that means or stands for).

Also, I cannot really post much about the task, because it's for a college programming course... We'd only just really started assembly language programming though at the time of the task being set, so I'm pretty certain that it's very basic. I'm really starting to doubt though that I'm upto the challenge of this course. Even after reading all sorts of guides etc on it, it just doesn't seem to stick in my brain. I can program in Java fairly well, but this really is driving me to the brink of mental breakdown. I fear that if I omit this task, I may even be thrown off the entire course.

I'm in major trouble..

well ASM IS assembly lang, so need to worry on that score.

basicly it`s ALL the same across processors wether it be 680x0 or Z80, 6502 etc... the only real thing that changes is the OP codes, some have more than others. the 680x0 great as it has multiply and divide built in, way back in "the day" you only had Add and Subtract, multiply was done the hard way, load a register with the multiplier and then then keep adding the 2 two numbers in the accumulator and decremeting the register by one each time and then BEQ zero etc...

what are you actualy being asked to DO in this task?

well ASM IS assembly lang' date=' so need to worry on that score.

.... the 680x0 great as it has multiply and divide built in, way back in "the day" you only had Add and Subtract, multiply was done the hard way, load a register with the multiplier and then then keep adding the 2 two numbers in the accumulator and decremeting the register by one each time and then BEQ zero etc...

what are you actualy being asked to DO in this task?[/quote']

:confused: I didn't realise that the 68000 was still being used. I spent several years..20 years ago.. programing the ATARI ST and Falcon to render 3d talking heads in real time ..Falcon.. The Atari product line demised before i completed the task.

The 68000 language itself is pretty easy. From what i remember there are two program stacks. One for your code, the other for the operating system which could be communicated with from your code using interrupts. The hard part is finding enough coherent information about the operating system to be able to design a working program. One of several facts that detered me from moving the software to the PC.:-(