Some calculations help

The question goes like this:

The measured activity of a radionuclide was taken at 3-day intervals. The Following readings are uncorrected for background radiation.

Time(Days) :0 3 6 9 12 15

Count Rate (Per Minute):145 100 71 52 39 30

The count rate was measured again 2 months after the first reading and foungd to be 12 counts per minute.

ESTIMATE THE BACKGROUND COUNT

Well........How do i work it out

I think the answer is 12.

because of such a rapid decay rate over 15 days, it would be practicaly a Zero count from the original isotope 2 months later.

but I`m no mathematician! :)

I plot, the differences between the numbers.

145-100=45

100-71=28

71-52=19

52-39=13

39=30=9

and thats just over 15 days, so I Guesstimate, in say 60 days, it would be 1 or less.

PLEASE don`t write that as your answer! I only had a go because I thought it was a neat question :)

Well I wouldn`t take my answer as gospel though :)

there`s a good many better qualified REAL mathematicians on here, IF your in no rush, wait to see what they say 1`st, I`de hate to think I gave you wrong information and have you chasing me all over the internet with a shotgun :)

12 is right. Look at the data and you can estimate what the half life is, even if you initially assume zero background. This will overestimate the half-life, and you should be able to convince anyone that waiting 60 days is many half-lives. e.g. if you wait 5 half-lives, you are down to about 3% of your original activity. If you wait 10 half-lives, it's about 0.1%. So the 12 cpm at two months is essentially all background.