Implications for a unified theory

aj47

Recently ive been reading a few things on modern and theoretical physics and it seems that currently one of the most important areas in theoretical physics is to complete or create a theory that unifies all four forces.

Obvioulsy it would be an amazing feat if a complete theory was discoverd but what do you think would be the implications of this. Do you think it would give rise to any great technological advances in the near future?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. The "Theory of Everything" would, no doubt, set off a revolution because having one that works meaning we understand things a lot better than we do now. It would have the same effect as Evolution of Biology, Plate tectonics on Geology, Germ Theory on Medicine... ... Only it would have that effect on everything and not just physics, the most fundamental science, because it would make progress in changing the word "random" to "half-ass calculated."

Well it would certainly lead to bigger and better things, but that doesn't mean that things would change over night. If we have all the fundamental workings, we still have to figure out how these fundamental workings affect the universe and world we live in. So really it would be a lot like other breakthroughs in physics, where the technological breakthroughs come years or decades after the physics has been worked out.

I have come to a strong statement about something incomplete in our quantum theoretics. There is something of our own construction standing in our way and I have put my finger on the quantum theory of the vacuum. I feel deeply that refining or rebuilding such a structural element will move us forward. Albers

I have come to a strong statement about something incomplete in our quantum theoretics. There is something of our own construction standing in our way and I have put my finger on the quantum theory of the vacuum. I feel deeply that refining or rebuilding such a structural element will move us forward. Albers

Any aspects in particular that we could further in, if the quantum thoery of the vacuum was refined or rebuilt.

Insofar as electromagnetic field theory is valid in this inhomogeneous extension, and I think we have not finished here, I conclude that the radiation field is not fundamentally quantized. Phenomenology demands bunching or localization but the field itself can be of arbitrary, fractional magnitude. It is only bound states where the "snake bites its tail" and is constrained to integer units of twist, literally angular momentum. I do not yet know where this is taking us! Fractional photons will not be absorbed by a system whose stable states differ by integer units of h-bar.

As far as technologies I cannot be specific but many people are messing with ideas involving the quantum "zero-point" radiation field. I figure it would be cool if we can get our understanding together, and I think it is not. I see myself as a PURE THEORIST, one who deals in PURE B******T. When I finally reach a stage of calculating a number, it puts me in a panic for a few days.