Why ct instead of t

Jacques

B-b-bingo! I didn't want to waste repeats but maybe we should look here at simultaneity. You in your fast train show clocks in each car window. A line of cameras on the platform takes pictures simultaneously (according to them). No picture shows the same time, and you will be upset at first. Fisticuffs could erupt if a relativist is not on the scene to calm emotions. dkv: yes it is that simple, sort of, except no THING travels at 'c'. Look at two space-time points (you at one goalpost, me at the other, and the chosen time moments for each). Let's say light-speed is 100 yards per second. If we define the points 'you right now' and 'me a half-second later', then light could not have travelled between us in that time. If we chose 'you now' and 'me 1-1/2 sec later' the opposite is true. The first we speak of as a space-like interval, and the second is time-like. Yo, Severian, I can explain more about General Rel. than Special in terms of starting from a simple premise. Can we derive SR from the one fact that 'c' is constant to all?

• 2 weeks later...
Severian you are telling me that In relativity space and time are the same thing ???

Pretty much. They are slightly different in that their weighting when you measure a distance is with the opposite sign for time as compared to time, but that is a detail.