Building MoonBase Alpha For The 21st Century

Wirral Cat

September 13th 1999...the moon blasts out of Earth orbit and the inahabitants of MoonBase Alpha faces a struggle for survival and begins an amazing space voyage. Anyone remember this famous Sci Fi classic from the 1970's Space 1999?

I was gazing at the moon after watching re runs of this fabulous show. And something struck me. You may have seen on the news last year that NASA wants to go back to the moon and hopefully they will build a base there. In addition on the news tonight there are dire warnings about Global Warming being worse than previously thought. I would love to see a moonbase called Alpha built !! Do you think that we have the technology today to recreate Moonbase Alpha for real? Bill Gates could be Kano !! Who else would be ideal people to fill in the roles of Koenig, Dr Russell, Professor Bergman, Alan Carter et al? I reckon Commisoner Simmonds would be George Bush or Tony Blair !! Politicians, manipulative and decitful !!

What do you think? Should we start this amazaing adventure or stay on Planet Earth and risk chocking in the threat of global warming and overpopulation? I say we go and build MoonBase Alpha. The time is right, Humanity must touch the stars.

I don't think gates would be an ideal candidate... :P

Do we have the technology, yes and no, we have some of the tech they had in space 1999, and some that makes it look old fachioned, and yet other stuff we are no where close to developing.

I am personally against the moonbase, it'll get nasa noticed and possible increase their funding but imo it is pulling resources from projects which are more scientifically important :|