Cigarette Smoking Survey

JustStuit

Yeah, when you look at it's affect on the cost of health care for everyone, it would make sense to make it illegal. Alcohol should be illegal too. So should pop and saturated fats. It just depends on where you draw the line.

I don't have the exact study sorry, but I heard from a relative that they did a pretty major one in Canada, which turned up that despite the costs of care at the end of their lives, the early end itself more than compensated in terms of expense. They did it to try and find out how much smokers were costing health care in an anti-smoking campaign, and quickly dropped that approach when they realized the evidence was pointing the other way.

Besides, you make alcohol illegal and you will turn me into a criminal. :mad:

Either a bootlegger or a rioter, I am not sure, probably the latter if I am no good at the former.

Specifically' date=' see this post which quotes a Philip Morris internal memo which describes the cause and solution to the radioactivity in calcium phosphate fertilizer (the solution being to produce purified ammonium phosphate) in which Philip Morris claims

What about bars? That's my main gripe.

I smoke mostly outside. Very rarely do I smoke in my bedroom.

I think that organic tobacco which is cured with indirect fire is substantially safer. I would really love to see the experiments Martell performed to detect alpha radiation exposure from cigarettes carred out with organic tobacco instead. In theory, organic tobacco should be free of both radioactive polonium and nitrosamine, which are the two most potent carcinogens in cigarettes.

1) I`ll have to look into that, as we sell tonnes of the stuff called "Super-phos" basicly Calcium Hydrogen Phosphate.

2) as for bars/Pubs I think that should be left entirely up to the publican/landlord and their staff (they have to clean the ashtrays and stuff after). but the pubs should be clearly marked also, as either Smoking or non smoking pub, giving the patrons the choice whether to enter or not.

3) We won`t smoke anywhere our child goes, and I don`t beleive in smoking in the bedroom anyway.

4) I like the idea of Organic myself also, the nitrosamine content probably comes partly from the Saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate) they add to it to make it "burn better", IIRC Vinigar (acetic acid) is also used although WHY is beyond me???

In theory, no matter how the tobacco is cured, they are still dangerously toxic.

What toxins are you referring to and what is their relative toxicity compared to an ionizing alpha emitter like polonium-210?

Indeed, the actual process of curing, no matter the method, generating the same chemical reactions, thus producing the same finished product full of the same toxins and carcinogens

In direct fire curing, tobacco (or in the case of beer, barley) is exposed directly to the combustion product of the flame, and this is the source of nitrosamine:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w00/nitrosamine.html

In 1980, several European scientists detected dimethylnitrosamine in beer. The nitrosamine was not formed during the brewing process--it was formed by direct-fire drying of barley malt, an ingredient used in making beer. By converting the process from direct-fire drying to indirect-fire drying, the nitrosating agents and the formation of dimethylnitrosamine were markedly reduced. Beer now contains only 2% of the amount of dimethylnitrosamine that was present 20 years ago.

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/agcomm/magazine/winter01/back.htm

Nitrosamines are formed in flue-cured tobacco when the tobacco is exposed to combustion gases produced during the curing process. Before this year, virtually all the flue-cured tobacco produced in North Carolina was cured in direct-fired curing barns. A burner that burns natural or propane gas is attached to each barn. This burner heats the air in the barn, curing the tobacco.

They’ve found that all the heat exchangers that have been installed in barns do what they’re supposed to do. Nitrosamine levels in tobacco from barns equipped with heat exchangers are down 92 to 95 percent from comparable barns that have not been retrofitted.

What toxins are you referring to and what is their relative toxicity compared to an ionizing alpha emitter like polonium-210?
Well there's carbon monoxide for starters, restricting the flow of oxygen around the blood is nothing minor.

And there's tar, wich makes the lungs permenantly less effective.

There's plenty more wich I can't recall on the spot.

They may not be carcegens but you can't say that they aren't harmful.