Zip files

Severian

On my home pc, running windows XP, zip files seem very easy to handle. They have an icon which looks like a normal folder but with a zipper on it, and when I click on it, it opens very quickly, just like a normal folder would. All this seems completely innate to Windows.

On my laptop, zip files are a pain. I am also running Windows XP, but when I got it, it did not recognise zip files and I had to download the trial version of winzip. Winzip seems a complete pain, and isn't nearly so nice as the other utility on my desktop. Also, you have to pay for it (I am still using the evaluation version).

So, does anyone have any idea why my two versions of windows xp handle this differently? Does anyone know how I can setup my laptop to function in the same way as my desktop? Alternatively, does anyone know of a good (preferably free) zipping program I could use?

Windows XP originally came with a trial version of WinZip (unlimited trial, but it takes longer to start up the longer you don't pay for it). I don't think Microsoft does that anymore--I had exactly the same problem as you do.

If you want a decent free utility, try 7-Zip. The UI is a little bad, but it works well (and is very fast at decompressing) and has its own file format - 7z - which is even better than Zip (it works with Zip as well).

WinRar (I think it is) is pretty good. I'm sure you can find a bittorrent or a download over p2p.

I think it's ironic, though, that the program is an archive ;P It's one of the only programs for windows that will open almost all kinds of archives. Normally windows has no clue waht to do with bz2 and gz files.

I like winRAR... but to answer the question this is how to make your laptop open zip files like your other computer.

My Computer

Tools (drop down menu)

Folder Options...

File Types (tab)

Go to ZIP (it will be right at the bottom)

Once ZIP is highlighted click 'Change...'

Then in the new window click on 'Compressed (zipped) Folders'

Then OK, Apply, OK

Last few steps shown here (circled in red)

zipfiles.jpg

Once you've done that anything with a .zip extension will be opened by the Windows default thingy.