Few Quantum Conceptual Questions

cfso1952

1.Why do jewelers often examine diamonds in day light rather than with indoor light ?

2. Explain why the existence of cutoff frequency in the photoelectric effect more strongly favors a particle theory than a wave theory of light?

3. Darkroom for developing black and white film are sometimes lit by red bulb ? Why red?

4. If an xray photon is scattered by an electron, does its wavelength change? if so, does it increase or decrease?

5. In both photoelectric effect and in the Crompton effect we have a photon colliding with an electron causing the electron to fly off. What then is the difference between the two processes???

The red light has something to do with its neutral wavelength properties...or something...lol

This isn't true and since its a homework question i won't tell you the right answer but iwill tell you that this is wrong. neutral wavelegnth, where the hell did that come from.

lol, ahh common and tell me, im curious and ignorant with this particular question.

The wavelength properties are what matter, but the notion that red is somehow a "neutral" wavelength depends on what you mean by neutral. But there may be a way of defining it such that your sentence made some sense.

Since cfso seems to be a one-post-wonder at this point...

Red has lower energy, and if the issue is whether an electron is ionized or a molecule is disassociated by a photon, then red has a chance of being below that threshold where other, more energetic photons (with other colors) might not be.

See, I was on the right track...by neutral I mean less reactive with photons.... but I’m not very educated in this particular area so my confusion is apparent. Thank you for clearing that up for me, god I'm such a sap for learning new things....even if its a completely useless piece of information...lol

'']Man there's even a homework forum, how lazy can you get?

Even a slight rephrasing of the question (e.g. "I don't understand why..."), and posting them one at a time, would allow for benefit of the doubt and probably elicit an answer.

Except maybe #4, which just prompts the response of "What does conservation of energy tell you it has to do? Look at it in the pre-collision electron's rest frame"