about chlorophyll

dttom

Can we remove the green color of leave of a green plant by heating the leaf with water(boil it)?

I've got a leaf, one side is green in color and the other side is red. When I boil it, I observe the green color disappears gradually. Does this mean that chlorophyll decomposes under boiling?

Can we remove the green color of leave of a green plant by heating the leaf with water(boil it)?

I've got a leaf' date=' one side is green in color and the other side is red. When I boil it, I observe the green color disappears gradually. Does this mean that chlorophyll decomposes under boiling?[/quote']

Not really, otherwise we would end up with all white veggies too! However, the color of chlorophyll changes somewhat under boiling. Chlorophyll gets its color mainly from the structure of the molecule, and subjecting it to high temperatures will change the structure, but not destroy it.

And one more question, do we divide non-flowering plants into dicots and monocots?

Now that's something you should be able to find in your textbook.

Airmid.

• 2 weeks later...
And one more question, do we divide non-flowering plants into dicots and monocots?

Hi

non flowering plants are called as gymnosperms. they can not bear fruits and flowers. You cannot divide them into dicot and monocot. Plants which flower and bear fruits are called Angiosperms. Angiosperms can be divided into monocots and dicots. Monocot plants have only one cotyledon in their seed. in dicots seeds have two cotyledons.