Diamond Computing?

Illuminati

This has been a rumored conversion from our current silicon technology in the near future on several sites and news groups.

Scientists have recently been able to grow diamonds in labs at a rate of something like one carrot an hour, and with their supreme organised structure they are able to transfer heat very well (as far as I understand it) and this would allow immense amounts of data be transfered in milliseconds.

In addition to diamond computing, others have said there have been advances in light technology, being able to slow or even stop light ( http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=458 ) and are able to transfer data on lightwaves.

So, with all these advances, do you think it will once again revolutionise the computer world? Will we finally be able to dump our entire consciousness into a diamond and truely play with our 5 sences in a virtural world?

I say Yes! But what do you think?

The games would be insane, Halo in true first person perspective.

Although, another concept crossed my mind, would you be able to save the data to diamonds? or are the diamonds just a bride between storage and application?

If they can store data, would they need a power supply?

And, if data can be stored, I'd imagine you could store a huge amount, do you think that we could one day store our entire consciousness on a diamond? Essentially defeating death and acheiving a conscious immortallity.

The possibilities are near endless.

• 3 weeks later...