A Warning: the Armstrong Mix

RyanJ

Note too mods, there will be nothing in this thread relating too the making of other than that fact it should not be.

I recently witnessed somone in my street messing with the Armstrong mic, I will not post a mixture configuration here because you cna guarantee that someone would use it.

This stuff is dangerous, it ignited for no reason and is VERY sensative too touch and also many other things.

The person (No names) continued too mix the stuff despite my warning, applied too much pressure and the mix ignited - he suffered 2nd degree burns to his hands and arms and had too be rushed too the hospital, luckily he was wearing gloves or it could have been far worse. He is now recovering with his arms in bandages - if he has listened too the warning there would be been no porblems.

Thats not the end of this story, 2 days later another person, probably a friend of NoName trued the same thing but this time managed too seal this stuff in a small metal tube, he droped it and the mix detonated Sending pieces of metal into him - again not very nice and he also had burns too his legs and he also damaged his ear drums thanks too the blast wave.

What do we note from this? DO NOT make the Armstrong mix - even trained pyrotechnicians avoid this stuff because its too unstable and very unpreductable not too mention powerful. For your own safety and that of others arround you do not even try too make this mix!

Why is it people do not listen too the warnings? Don't ask me - both of those two learned the hard way and I bet they will; not try it again.

Just a heads up, just a note from personal experience, this stuff is dangerous and should be avoided.

Cheers & Keep Safe,

Ryan Jones (Comments from the mods or members welcome as always)

Sorry for my ignorance but what is armstrong mix and hypothetically speaking can it be made from household or easily obtained products?

I guess so, the stuff in toy caps and on some match heads of composed of a stabilised version of this stuff...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Tell NoName and friend that adding magnesium to the mix will increase sensitivity, with any luck they can blow a finger or two off next time.

I don't think they will ever try it again, there are a lot of things you can add too the mix too increase its power but I don't even reccomend making the basic mix let along any enhanced ones ;)

This stuff is very, very unpredictable and varies from batch too batch, one time it could seem stable and would remain like that the next it could just ignite its self for no reason - exactly why its not used for much....

I show them no sympathy at all, I wanred them it should not be made unless you know what your doing and have the corect equiptment and even then its not reccomended not only that but I have no idea what they intended too do with the stuff :S

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

No kidding! My tongue was pressed into my cheek when I wrote the above.

I bet, the best advice if too leave it well alone - this stuff does explodes when its contained. Basty stuff and powerful. I'd also like too know how the kids got the chemicals in the first place, who would be stupid enough too sell the materials too them without knowing what they'd wo with them?

Well, there are two less people too run a pyrochemists lives by trying too blow things up which is what i bet they were trying too dow ith the stuff as it has no other uses at all!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Especially the one component. There is no consumer use that I can think of.

I cna guess a few that are hard too get, I buy my stuff form reliable suppliers so I have no idea where these people get this stuff from - if its impure it makes the mix even more unstable than it already is and if you havn't already got the idea thats bad ;)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Yeah, it is some nasty stuff. I've "worked" with it before but on a micro microscale quantity. (I.E. a few crystals of the one compound, then a few barely visible of the other compound. Hit with a hammer and 'KAPOW!'. A combination of crystals no bigger than the head of a nail made a sound loud enough to scare the bejesus out of me). Armstrong's mixture is also a good reason to keep a neat and tidy lab. You don't want to have a spill involving both of the ingredients because at that point if the two compounds were spilled into each other you'd have a serious problem at hand.

Oddly enough, the addition of one other compound turns the dangerously volatile concoction into something we tend to use quite frequently. :D

Oddly enough' date=' the addition of one other compound turns the dangerously volatile concoction into something we tend to use quite frequently. :D[/quote']

I'm shure its used in matches but it also has a stabiliser in there I believe.

And there you have it folks, I'm not a moron (OK, I am ;)) we have a chemistry mod that confirms the danger! Keep away from it ;)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

we have a chemistry mod that confirms the danger! Keep away from it Cheers' date='

Ryan Jones[/quote']

yes indeed I Have told you about this before in the past!

there`s no need to bring yet Further attention to this Idiot Mixture!

Thread Closed.