Wireless Support in Ubuntu 5.1 ("The Breezy Badger")

calbiterol

Hey all, and Merry Christmas. I spent the majority of Christmas Eve working on getting linux (specifically, Ubuntu 5.1) dual-booting happily with windows (well, that and wrapping, anyway). So far, so good, except one thing - I have not, for all I'm worth, been able to get my wireless LAN set up in ubuntu, or any linux for that matter (I tried it first with SUSE, which was brutal and didn't appeal to me, so I went back to Ubuntu, which I'd liked from the LiveCD). Can anyone help solve my wireless woes?

Thanks much!

What kind of encryption are you using, WEP?

What make/model card are you using?

What chipset card are you using?

I take it wifi works in windows?

Have you checked ubuntu 5.10's supported hardware list?

If you are hiding your SSID, stop hiding it for a while boot into linux and type the following command:

iwlist INTERFACE_NAME scanning

You may need to run it using sudo. The INTERFACE_NAME will be something like ath0 or eth0, if you type sudo iwconfig it should be the one listed there.

I'll throw up the details tomorrow. The router and card work fine when set up, I just don't know how to set them up in linux. Keep in mind that I've never actually used linux before this, so I'm pretty new at it (but I'll learn fast). Seeing as I'm typing this on the computer with the problems, yeah I can connect to the internet - I just can't get my wireless working on Ubuntu. It works fine in Windows, and I'm using 128-bit shared-key WEP encryption.

Well if you're on the Internet right now it's not a driver problem. You just need to configure your network. If I were you I'd look for howtos w/ samba and wireless. Samba is what you'd use for this kind of thing (I assume). I really cant help you because I've never tried networking wirelessly.

PS: apt-get install synaptic .

Well if you're on the Internet right now it's not a driver problem. You just need to configure your network. If I were you I'd look for howtos w/ samba and wireless. Samba is what you'd use for this kind of thing (I assume). I really cant help you because I've never tried networking wirelessly.

PS: apt-get install synaptic .

Synaptic is already installed with ubuntu.

It appears reading the ubuntu supported wifi card list you need to use:

ndiswrapper + bcmwl5a.inf

There is at least one article in the ubuntu wiki about using ndiswrapper:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HowToSetUpNdiswrapper?highlight=%28ndiswrapper%29