Career paths in science

Deathby

Hi, I'm about to choose a degree in university and frankly I'm confused.

I've been wanting to do law for a while, but my recent marks mean that I have to get a full-fee paying place in the university that I want. Now money is not a problem for me, but I was wondering if I could instead get a career in science.

I've always loved science, and although I think I will like law, I don't know if I will enjoy it for certain. I know a lot of science, or at least I think I do and I've enjoyed going on the forums every now and engaging in the creation/evolution debate and even did a debate in the debate forum on the use of DDT.

But my major problem with doing a Bachelor of Science is I dunno what sort of job I can get, and if it will have job security. And the other thing is I have to choose my subjects in a month or so, which will greatly determine what career in science I will take.

Well that was a bit of a ramble, but here's my question.

So what I'm asking is what career paths are open in science? I'm interested in advanced physics (although I didn't choose physics in high school because I don't particularly enjoy electronics or Newtonian physics), but my major interest lies in biology, mostly on the organism-level, but also in genetics.

I want to know what career paths are there, and how many jobs would be available? I'm currently looking through newscientistjobs.com.au but its hard to gain a sense of perspective as to which branches of science offer the most opportunities for someone who is fairly knowledgable.

So what I'm asking is what career paths are open in science? I'm interested in advanced physics (although I didn't choose physics in high school because I don't particularly enjoy electronics or Newtonian physics)' date=' [/quote']

No matter what kind of science you do, learning Classical physics is unavoidable, so you'd better learn to love it ;-)

Everything uses math, so that's why I chose that field, plus I could usually work the 'lab' problems out with a pencil and a piece of paper. No matter what you do the job offers will come if you are competent.

Cheers,

Mot