Temporal Ignorance?

aguy2

Einstein's simple and elegant theory shows that time is relative to the inertial frame, i.e. that there is no 'universal clock'. Each inertial frame has its own local geometry. This geometry is related to the energy of the reference frame.

So if by 'local conditions' you mean 'local inertial frame', then the answer is yes.

'']I agree, altough its not like I'm much of an authority on the matter. Sounds like this is some sort of trap.

If by 'trap' you mean to say that I have an agenda, well I guess you right. I am trying to establish that collectively none of us are much of an authority on the matter of 'time'.

I am contending that we may have collectively made a basic mistake in thinking that the BB event marked the beginning of an accumulation of 'time'.

Couldn't it be possible that like mass/energy, the sum of time/space might be a constant? Could we we say with a degree of accuracy that, "at the initiation of the BB event our universe had as little 'space' as it ever is going to have and as much 'time' as it will ever have"?

aguy2

If by 'trap' you mean to say that I have an agenda' date=' well I guess you right. I am trying to establish that collectively none of us are much of an authority on the matter of 'time'.

I am contending that we may have collectively made a basic mistake in thinking that the BB event marked the beginning of an accumulation of 'time'.

[/quote']

To use an old punchline, "What you mean we, white man?"

You obviously didn't see this post (and others) by Martin, which you might have found on a search of the site.

I see no conflict with saying that local time depends on local conditions and addressing the question of time before the Big Bang.

swansont:

Thank you and martin for the sites on oscillating, 'bounce' models. I could not help but notice that the researcher still insists on an 'isometric' exspansion. As I understand it this could be due to the lack of a mathematical 'toolkit' to support anything but an isometric exspansion. A team at the U. of Penn. is supposed to be working on a toolkit that could support non-isometric exspansion. I would be willing to bet 'a dollar to a donut' that eventually we will be seeing models that postulate an 'inflationary epoch' in the form of matter and anti-matter 'jets' erupting from a pre-inflationary BB event that had a high degree of angular momentum.

aguy2