What is a good first telescope?

apollo2011

You didn`t state what country your from, so some of my references may not mean much, but here in the UK, you can buy a pretty respectable Telescope from a place called Argos, Index are also good. also have a look around car boot sales (garrage sales if yer USA) you often find good deals there. I use a little 500x lens type scope from a company called TASCO. I can see the rings of Saturn with that quite well and it only cost me about £80 brand new, I`m sure you could get something cheaper second hand, maybe in a newspaper free advert section? but you`ll find that 500x magnification or above would be great as a 1`st telescope :)

Read this article:

http://skyandtelescope.com/howto/scopes/article_241_1.asp

FAQ: http://www.perkins-observatory.org/FAQ.index.html

When I was young I decide to buy a lens telescope (Refractor) but I first asked a few professionals and they advised a Newton telescope (Reflector) for me and I must say I'm very glad that I didn't choose a lens telescope.

When you are young without much knowledge it is very easy to choose the one with the highest amplification.

a big amplification has no meaning when all you can see is blur.

Kedas, what`s your mirror diameter on that telescope you have? I`ve been interested in trying one of those myself, but haven`t come across one cheap enuogh yet and if you don`t mind me asking how much was it? and what magnification is it?

also your quite right about the blur aspect, it CAN be a bit tricky untill you get used to it, I find that investing in a GOOD tripod will be worth it`s weight in gold too, nothing worse than shakes when on a HIx mag and your trying to track something! :(

lens type: D=60mm F=700mm by Tasco

that`s about all I can say really, it came with 3 different objective lenses, a prism `L` bend and a 3x Barlow lens.

It`s nothing fancy, but it`s great for ordinary things, Moon, Saturn, Mars etc...

• 4 months later...

A good reflector is much cheaper than a good refractor. But if you are a newbie, Start with a good pair of binoculars. I have a computerized scope, but still spend 80% of my observing with my 16x70 binoculars.

With a scope the most important item is the stand, If it shakes even a little it will drive you nuts. You can always brace your binoculars against something to staedy them.

cool! sounds like my kinda chick :)

I`ve seen in my Lad Equpment catalogue various mirrors, concave and convex up to 1 meter diameter, and at a very reasonable price!

they`re a bit like the sort you see in shops or on sharp bends in country lanes or shaving mirrors.

I`m sure they`re not the only people who sell them either, It maybe worth looking around on the net and buying one, I`m sure a 1M Dia reflector would give a great Xmag :)

and for the home user, a little distortion would be quite survivable, the huge cardboard packing drums would make a great tube if you painted it mat black inside.

just a few Ideas :)