Chemicals that Break Down Wood!

Guest DirtyChem

Guest DirtyChem

Hi!

Im new to science!

My project for school is to find chemicals that break down wood. I tried searching google but it didnt have the specific answers I needed. Any Information or comments are welcome.

Thanks a lot John!

sodium or potassium hydroxide will break down wood quite well, in fact it`s used in making the wood pulp in the Paper industry.

Hmm... what about something on the other end of the scale, something like Hydrochloric acid, Sulphuric acid or Nitric acid... or even the dreaded Hydrofluric acid?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I always though wood lignin not cellulose?

Wood contains many substances including lignin, but it's mostly cellulose. Termites use cellulase they get from symbiotes in their gut to digest wood.

Wood contains many substances including lignin, but it's mostly cellulose. Termites use cellulase they get from symbiotes in their gut to digest wood.

You could get some goats to come and eat it, they eat just about everything :S

Cows can also digest cellulose but I'm not sure they like the wood type :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Guest DirtyChem

Thanks a lot for the information, I guess Ill try all the techniques to see which one is the most efficient and the cheapest! :)

Thanks again and Cheers!

Hmm... what about something on the other end of the scale' date=' something like Hydrochloric acid, Sulphuric acid or Nitric acid... or even the dreaded Hydrofluric acid?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

I`m sure in paper treatment that the Hydroxides are neutralised at some point (probably with some sort of acid) and on occasion for certain types of paper Chlorine is used to Bleach it. but that proc only affects the impurities and does to little to the actual cellulose itself.