Dioxin Poisoning

ku

I think I may have posted a thread here or in another health forum about any possible dangers of leaving gladwrap or any other plastic on food when you put it in the microwave.

Recently a friend of mine who is doing honors in chemistry told me that heating gladwrap on food can lead to dioxin poisoning. Or at least what is released into your food is carcinogenic.

Is this true? I'd like to know the definitive answer to this issue because I've been getting lots of mixed messages.

• 4 weeks later...

Your dioxin exposure will most likely occur from combustion products. Everytime you fire up the backyard grill you create dioxins, though not enough to cause significant damage.

Plasticizers such as bisphenol A and phthalates leach out of plastics into your food and drink all the time and is most likely what your friend was referring to. Of course, most of your exposure there is most likely to occur from that shower or bath you take every day.