Organic Biology

uncski1218

ok i have a few questions...

1. How does temperature effect enzyme reaction? How does it specifically effect catalase?

2. Summarize the general conditions necessary for effective enzyme activity. Are these conditions the same for each enzyme? Why or why not?

3. Explain why the enzyme catalase was still active even though the liver cells from which you obtained the enzyme were no longer living.

Thanks in advance.

1. How does temperature effect enzyme reaction? How does it specifically effect catalase?

depends which enzyme

2. Summarize the general conditions necessary for effective enzyme activity. Are these conditions the same for each enzyme? Why or why not?

No general conditions... it depends on the enzyme.

3. Explain why the enzyme catalase was still active even though the liver cells from which you obtained the enzyme were no longer living.

The enzyme is still chemically active, which means it wasn't kept in any conditions that degraded it. It means that the liver was stored in a freezer, and you haven't cooked it yet.

http://www.seps.org/cvoracle/faq/catalase.html

In living systems the optimal ranges of temperature, pH and salt concentration for a given enzyme are the ranges found in that system. When determining various optimum conditions for a catalase solution it is important to consider the source of the catalase. Catalase derived from a potato or from yeast might “prefer” slightly different condition than catalase derived from beef liver. For example, mammalian enzymes have a temperature optimum of about 40°C, but there are enzymes that work best at very different temperatures, e.g. enzymes from the arctic snow flea work at -10°C, and enzymes from thermophilic bacteria work at 90°C. The optimal pH range is about 7-8 (physiological pH of most cells), but a few enzymes can work at extreme pH, such as protease enzymes in animal stomachs, which have an optimum of pH 1.

All this info is easily available online. A google search will get you a quicker answer, you know.

Thanks in advance.

Really, if you're going to post your homework in the biology form instead of in the homework form where it belongs could you at least try to disguise it so it doesn't blatantly look like homework.

There should really be a rule preventing this....

2/3 of the posts at the top of this form are homework questions, and they're obviously for the most part copied straight off the assignments without a word changed. Like if you show so little effort in doing your own work why should someone else do it for you?

'll see if I can help witut giving you the answer.

Another enzyme called carbohydrase breaks down carbohydrates.

With an increase in temperature the molecules will have more energy and so will move faster - you can workout the bit that goes here. When the temperature of the substance exceeds a certain point the weak hydrogen, disulphide, hydrophobic and ionic bonds within the structure of protein will start to break and it will denature. Add a "why" statement here and explain it.

2) This one is a little more trickey. You'll need to look at the effects of things like pH, temperature, concentration of enzyme and of substrate, etc. Explaining each of the factors and what an effect a high or low ammount of each would do to the enzyme and why.

Also, for this one the answer must be no because some bacteria can survive at over 100 degrees C which means ther enzymes are much stronger than ours - why is for you to solve!

3) Seeing as enzymes are proteing they are not alive therefor when the cell dies the enzymes cna continue to funciton for a period of time untill the conditions inside the cells becaome to severe. Explain this to get you answer.

Cheers & Good luck,

Ryan Jones

Ryan, I think you are hurting them by helping them.

Yeah, but they deserve to be hurt. If you're blatantly going to cheat on homework, you deserve it when you know nothing for the test.

Besides, some of the homework questions spark interesting discussions (not that the original poster will be reading that part).

Ryan, I think you are hurting them by helping them.

True but from my experience I know that a little of help does good too, provided the minimulm I could and I did not answer the question, all the explaining and reasons for it etc. have been left out and by giving hints you encourage the person too look for an answer themselves, simply not answering or helping at all will have the opposit effect in most cases :)

Also, if there is a rule not to do his then I appear to have missed it and will not assist in homework questions in the future but I can't seem to find the rule anywhere.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Also, if there is a rule not to do his then I appear to have missed it and will not assist in homework questions in the future but I can't seem to find the rule anywhere.

I'm pretty sure the rule is to not post in the wrong forum. ie ask homework questions outside of the homework forum.

I think the problem lies in that if it is the wrong subject forum than it's easy to identify it as the wrong forum. However the difference between a question based on interest and homework might not be as obvious. (Not that it wasn't clearly obvious in this case...)

It's hard to tell if the reason so many of these question appear outside of the homework forum is because the authors are ignorant about the existance of a homework forum or if they do it purposefully since other forums get alot more activity.

*edit* like if you take a look this forum has less threads than the homework one but it has more posts!!! Implying that if you ask a question about homework in the wrong forum you're more likely to get a response.

I'm pretty sure the rule is to not post in the wrong forum. ie ask homework questions outside of the homework forum.

I think the problem lies in that if it is the wrong subject forum than it's easy to identify it as the wrong forum. However the difference between a question based on interest and homework might not be as obvious. (Not that it wasn't clearly obvious in this case...)

It's hard to tell if the reason so many of these question appear outside of the homework forum is because the authors are ignorant about the existance of a homework forum or if they do it purposefully since other forums get alot more activity.

*edit* like if you take a look this forum has less threads than the homework one but it has more posts!!! Implying that if you ask a question about homework in the wrong forum you're more likely to get a response.

Good point, that rules does exist. If the questions were in the correct place they could be better answered :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Lol being the overanalytic sob I am. I've just noticed that the homework forum has the lowest post/thread ratio of any forum!!!! at just below 6 posts per thread. The average being just above 10.

Which has two possible explainations both of which make it undesirable to have homework posts in other forums.

Either the questions don't incite as good discussion, or people just don't want to do the homework of others.